Papaaloa Gym (video)



When I rolled into Papaaloa recently, I had no intention of stopping anywhere but the post office. Yet, I couldn't resist stopping this time after remembering that there is a gym there, one that goes back generations. Most of the gyms I'm familiar with on the Big Island are in Hilo area, and then there are scattered gyms in rural areas like Kohala. Not a lot of P&R gyms, really, but high school gyms still get plenty of usage by communities across the island.

The parking lot outside the gym was mostly empty. The sign on the front wall near the entrance warned about lead in the old paint. No worries, I wasn't about to lick that wall.

I walked in and might as well have entered a time machine back to the 1960s. The lights on the side walls provided natural light the way a church would. The backboards were basic, not plexiglass. But the wooden floor won my heart. Patched up in some places, probably due to the frequent rains and maybe roof leakage over the decades, but from what I know, this gym is still used by the community. There's even a men's basketball league here.

The place could use a little elbow grease, a little shine, but overall, it is in remarkable shape thanks to whoever clearly loves this historic spot. It is getting plenty of usage by now, a couple of weeks since I visited, since Summer Fun is in season. For any kid, this isn't an old building. It's a place of happiness and fun. Play time. That's all that matters.
















Comments