Postal Tour 2019: Captain Cook, HI 96704




The old story is that this post office was originally located in a building that was occupied by the Captain Cook Coffee Company, and that the building was actually physically moved at least once to a different location. It is now in the heart of what's considered the town Captain Cook, a part of Kealakekua. I think. I couldn't remember where it was since the previous visit was more than two decades ago. That goodness for Google Maps.

As I turned into the parking lot, the truck behind me tailgated me pretty tight, I noticed. I looked at it and the friendly driver in an orange shirt revved his truck up the hill, flipping the bird out the door window. I'm a pretty safe driver, and I have a thing for using turn signals. Traffic at that intersection, no lights, was normal. There was a car coming down the hill that waited as I turned up the hill, then an immediate left into the post office parking lot. There's nothing I could or would have done differently. Maybe the truck driver hates the post office and everyone who goes there, getting in his way. I don't know.

But the feeling got much nicer once I noticed all the bright yellow hibiscus laid out in front of the building. I later realized these were probably grown on the property. There's a bush of pink hibiscus behind the structure in a grassy area. Everything that grows up mauka is awesome.

After a busy morning, then hitting Kealakekua and Captain Cook, I felt optimistic about the start of this new postal tour. Then I learned that the next stop, Honaunau, closes early in the day. That wasn't the case 25 years ago, so I was shocked. The drive down south had me fidgety.






Comments