Postal Tour 2019: Kurtistown, HI 96760


I left Mountain View with no location of Kurtistown Post Office on my Google Maps. But I had instructions from a local resident, and that was perfect. Sorta. I looked for 7-Eleven. I turned right into two places and could not see a post office, couldn't see a US flag on a pole. It took some wandering, but eventually some folks near another store pointed out the post office. It's in a building that doesn't have any big signage, but I missed the flagpole. Schedule very tight. I was so happy.

The postmark is highly unusual, even unique. The entire space is filled with ink, allowing just enough white space for the lettering. I'd forgotten my own stamped envelope, so I purchased an in-house version, and that was postmarked/cancelled. The postmark is large, a very rural-post-office thing that I enjoy. And it leaves no question when it is used on a stamp like this one, the barnyard swallow.






Comments