Via Gelato: Ice Cold Lilikoi, Mango Heaven

  

On these swamp-blanket, unbearable days of 87% humidity and 90-degree temperatures, I am uncertain why I never thought to find Via Gelato. I tried the tasty good stuff years ago and loved it. Back then, they had a truck. A pastel-yellow, unmistakable truck.

Now they have their cornerstone location in Kaimuki, so after a hot afternoon on the hardcourt, I looked it up and headed to 12th Avenue. Best decision of the summer.

I'd been jonseing for a cold mango. I got there and examined a few flavors before the mango and lilikoi gelato popped. I ordered immediately. Large bowl. I didn't research Via Gelato's process, or how they get ingredients. I just trusted my gut. The mango tastes elegant and powerful and perfectly cold and sweet. The lilikoi was more subtle, just as beloved. How they convert amazing fruits into heavenly treats, I don't need to know. Sure, I'd love to video the process, but at this moment on a hot early evening, in their comfy, air-conditioned shop, I was at peace. This is now my drug of choice.

This and poke.





Via Gelato
1142 12th Ave, Honolulu, HI 96816
Hours: 11 a.m.-10 p.m. (closed Thursday)

Comments