Video: Milolii



Ever since our keiki basketball team set its eyes on a tournament in Hilo, I couldn't stop thinking about places I had never seen. Milolii was atop that short list. I made the right turn down the slope to a place I had only seen on TV or in photos. I didn't know it would be such a steep decline, from 1,500-feet elevation, countless switchbacks, and a view of something that was straight out of a post-apocalytic movie. Well before I could see the pristine beach, there was a wide patch of black-sand expanse, with homes situated almost evenly apart. Off the grid, Some homes brightly colored. Just shacks dotting the landscape. Or more like moonscape, if the moon was covered with black sand.


I didn't expect to see that. From up above, I couldn't see any people. It almost looked like a movie set. But I didn't detour down one of those "private" routes to this strange neighborhood. I had to stay on schedule and headed to the beach. True, the beach is more like a combination of lava rocks, lava flow and broken coral. This is not smooth, elegant sand beachy. But it's perfect. I sat there and dipped my feet into the cool water for at least an hour. The rest of my postal tour for the afternoon was in jeopardy, but how do you explain that moment when your soul is fed?


















There's a little doggie who guards the entrance to the beach park. He is calm, cautious and fearless. His eyes study every car, every person who enters his domain. But once I bring out the camera, he runs. Aww maaan...


On the way back up, I stopped by this avocado stand, dropped five bucks for four avocados. Big Island avocadoes are the best. 




Comments