Wo On Store, North Kohala







The Wo On Store in North Kohala is a relic that I couldn't say no to. I drove back from Pololu Valley toward Kapaau, passed this store, stopped, turned around and returned. I'm glad I did. There's something about the spirit of the Big Island that I always embraced. I didn't necessarily understand the pull, but it led to my desire to do postal tours, to stop and breathe. Inhale. To absorb what my old neighbor, Dorothy, once termed "quiet enjoyment". Or I think that's what she meant.

Wo On Store is probably not the same as the Wong To Society building which can be seen on the Historic Hawaii site. The details are quite different. I connected the two because a sign on the side of the Wo On Store says "Wong To Society". Maybe it's in the back.

According to Graham's Island, this location is Halawa. It always trips me out when a place name is used on multiple islands in Hawaii. Keaau. Waimea. Kahuku.



Comments