Fastop Kalihi: Best Potato Salad gone



The best potato salad on Oahu was once at Fastop on North School Street. I walked in one night a few years ago after filling up the gas tank. Ordering food was an afterthought. I noticed they had potato salad, and I gave it a try.

Best I’ve had in any local eatery. The flat-out best potato salad I ever had was made by my friend Patrick Pharr’s grandmother three decades ago.

So I stopped by Fastop today and learned that they discontinued potato
 salad in favor of macaroni salad awhile back. Nohhhhhh!

The menu, however, has expanded. So many dishes from pinakbet (none available today) to adobo fried rice to fried chicken. I opted for the mini corned beef hash onion on rice and a fried chicken thigh.

I mentioned Minit Stop to the friendly cashier. She said their chicken is similar to theirs. Hmmm, we shall see.

So this isn’t fair because the last time I had a Minit Stop chicken thigh it was under Saran Wrap with a musubi. Pretty good.

However, this Fastop fried chicken thigh is quite crispy and fresh, not under wrap. Excellent. Big and pricey at $2.49, but outstanding. The corned beef hash onion is saltier than I expected. Pretty good, but my preference is raw onions, not cooked. Good deal for $3.59? I guess. The cut potatoes were a bit on the raw side. I still ate the whole thing, but I really like my potatoes cooked to that nice, firm, but soft texture.

I passed on the chicken balut, but I got two boiled eggs for $1.















Comments