Kūhiō Grille Waialae: ONE-POUND LAULAU


If you’ve had a taste of the ONE-POUND LAULAU and other tasty treats of Kūhiō Grille in Hilo, a new location in Kaimuki will satisfy that craving.

The new location features two sisters, Lauren and Erin Araki, and Stokie Simran. Erin and Stokie are cooks from the original spot in Hilo. This is known as quality control success.

If you notice something missing from this Hawaiian plate at the newly-opened Kuhio Grille on Waialae Ave. (at the foot of St. Louis Heights), you are correct. They ran out of lomi salmon temporarily.

They can barely keep up with demand. There’s a line outside. That’s how big a reputation Kūhiō Grille has after serving the lucky folks in Hilo for years. I was there for the first time in June and the ONE-POUND LAULAU did not disappoint.

I made the walk to Waialae expecting no parking. Coach Brandon Young was there yesterday and said they had sold out of 150 orders! Today, it’s packed at noon and they ran out of lomi salmon. Temporarily. Someone had to run to the store to get more. Business is good!

As for the goods, I’m not going to rank laulau plates. For me, it’s hard for anyone to beat the fresh poi and laulau at Waiahole Poi Factory. Or the veteran cooking at Haili Hawaiian on Kapahulu. Of course, Helena’s on School Street is epic.

I can only bring my personal perspective. I live just 4 blocks from this spot. I love good laulau and poi. And now that the lomi salmon is here, I am content. Verrrry content.

Note: I wanted to be here at 10 am when they opened, but I couldn’t get away. It might have been emptier and definitely fully stocked.

Kūhiō Grille
3036 Waialae Ave
Honolulu, HI 96816
Hours: 10 am-9 pm (closed Wednesday)






Comments