The Search for Look Funn


Finally found a reason, as if one was necessary, to wander around Chinatown on a Saturday morning. A recent stop at an unnamed eatery was disappointing. Their look funn was missing something. It took a few seconds, but I realized it was green onion. Cutting corners now?

So I parked, paid the meter for 16 minutes (80 cents), and started waking on Smith St. at Little Village restaurant, they don’t have look funn, but the manager directed me to a place “past the traffic light.” Nothing but flower shops on Beretania, but when I circled back, I walked into Char Hung Sut for the first time. Classic, old-school place. They don’t make look fun, and they were sold out of manapua and taro cake. The boss said try Hotel St.

I was worried about getting a $75 parking ticket by this time, but I went on the quest. At Maunakea Market, there it was.


They have two kinds of look fun: mushroom and char soy. I got one of each ($2.50 per). No sauce. But a good price. Each was good. Each had green onion. I walked away happy. I wanted to buy some ginger to mix with shoyu at home, but I was out of cash. Apparently, Chinatown doesn’t like cards. Just hard cash.









Comments