Time Machine Ice Cream: Pillbox Pharmacy is a Throwback (video)


A stop at Pillbox Pharmacy on 11th Ave. in Kaimuki was a first for me a few days ago. I'd passed this place a zillion times and never entered. I'd just had a sandwich at Subway two doors over and when I walked out, I noticed two ladies having ice cream out of big bowls. I was stumped. They said they got it in the pharmacy and I said, "Whuhhhhtt???"

They promised it would not disappoint. Katherine McElheney and brother Stuart McElheney run a drug store straight out of the past. Some say it's from the 1940s, which I wouldn't know about, but this definitely feels like Woolworth's or even old University Pharmacy from the '70s — except this place is smaller and more homey.

There are bottles for medicine going back to the 1880s, for goodness sake. There's also a surf culture museum of sorts near the back door. Almost every mom-and-pop store, drugstore, crackseed store, shave ice store since the '70s has closed its doors. I'm glad this place still serves its loyal customers, and they keep returning, too.

As for the ice cream, the Mango Sorbet was potently pure. And vegan, just a bonus. The Pistachio Almond is also a big winner. I liked this combo. Very much. Just $4.

Comments