Damien playmaker Jarvis Natividad heading to Whitworth


Year round, Jarvis Natividad made it his mission to get faster, stronger and better. 

Everything came to a standstill with the shutdown and ensuing lockdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Damien senior made some good news for himself, though, but signing to play football at Whitworth (Spokane, Wash.) on Monday. 

“I feel great. The contacts that I have there already are going to make it feel like a home away from home,” Natividad said on Tuesday morning. 

Among his new teammates in the Whitworth football program are 17 Hawaii student-athletes, including former Damien player Lindon Sevilleja.

“I was able to meet all of them. I was there on an overnight visit, so I hung out with people from Hawaii and people not from Hawaii,” he said. “Linden said he loves it there and I have the same perspective as him. I have the same aspirations and I can take his word for it.” 

In 2018, Sevilleja had team-highs for 552 yards and five touchdowns among his team’s receivers before graduating. Last season, Natividad exploded with 47 receptions for 845 yards and nine TDs as the Monarchs went 8-3. On the basketball court, he was a key contributor as a lockdown defender. Scrappy, quick and explosive. 

He visited Whitworth recently along with football and basketball teammate Jake Holtz, who opted to play hoops only for the Pirates. Natividad, who is also a kick returner, hopes to make an impact as a freshman. 

“They explained how they’re going to implement me in their offense as a slot. I’ll be versatile enough to play wide receiver, as well. It’ll be good,” he said. 

Initially, then-offensive line coach Andrew Faamu was the point of contact. 

“Then he left. I got in touch with their offensive coordinator (Alan Stanfield) and head coach (Rod Sandberg),” Natividad said. “I’m planning on playing right away, to work on earning a spot and make a name for myself out of the 808 when I get up there.” 

The question, of course, is this: when is when. Natividad, his dad and mom (Jovy) made the visit to Whitworth in mid-March, before the lockdown went into effect in Hawaii. There is no timetable for the world, let alone college student-athletes. When life gets back to semi-normal, Natividad wants to be on the first flight to Spokane. 

“I went to go visit Linfield first. Then we went over to Northern Arizona. Then went to Pacific Lutheran. Whitworth was my last stop,” he said. “It was actually a pretty hard decision because of how I had to choose between the people I know or if I’m willing to go on my own. My parents played a role, too.” 

Whitworth, he noted, provided “a good amount” of financial assistance. His parents will cover a portion of the remaining cost.

“I’ll pay for the other half (of cost) after graduation,” said Natividad, who plans to major in civil engineering. 



Coach Eddie Klaneski has built a foundation for prospective college student-athletes at Damien.

“I’m not surprised that he ended up deciding on Whitworth. We visited their campus during his junior season and we were able to see the campus, meeting the coaching staff and see the area,” Klaneski said. Having Jake and Lindon there made it an easier decision.”

Klaneski played at Hawaii before entering a career as an educator. 

“To be honest, I was hoping that he was going to get a bigger opportunity to play for a D-I or I-AA school, but that just didn’t happen for him. He was one of the best wide receivers in the state on any level,” Klaneski said. “He’ll be successful because he trains hard and has a great work ethic. He’s also very smart and a lot tougher than most people would think. He’ll be playing on a team with a great coaching staff that will help guide him. I’m very proud of him and maybe one day he could transfer back and play for Hawaii.” 

Natividad’s offseason training included many hours at his home gym, where dad (Joseph) and he took turns benching and squatting. Dad still has the edge on his son, but the offspring runs the hill near his house like no one else in Kalihi Valley. With life in a frozen mode, Natividad makes the most of the home gym. 

“I’m on this seven-week program that the Whitworth strength and conditioning coaches put me on. Two-a-day workouts, morning and night, plus afternoon running. I have this steep hill by the side of my house,” he said. “It starts at 20 degrees, then it 10, and it goes higher. And my parents got me an elliptical.” 

There is a Bio Force cable machine. A squat rack. Bench. 

“The first couple of sets, I do by myself, but towards the end, I call my dad to spot me. He’s home, so it all works out,” Natividad said. “My dad told me that I’m very fortunate. We were planning on selling all the weights and going to a gym four months ago, but we’re very fortunate we didn’t.”

The son squats 405 pounds and, with no spotter, bench presses 225. 

“My dad squats more than me. I don’t know how much, but he puts more on. He benches 315,” he said. 

Time feels like it is at a standstill, but eventually, the child will leave the nest. 

“I’m an only child. I think that’s why Jake’s family and my family can relate, sending an only child away to college,” Natividad said. “Thank you to all my coaches and my girlfriend, and my family.”

Comments