Damien’s Jake Holtz signs with Whitworth basketball


Jake Holtz needed some good news.

Two weeks after returning from a trip to the Northwest with family, the Damien senior signed with Whitworth (Spokane, Wash.) to play basketball. Holtz made his announcement on Twitter.

“I’m still trying to play pro ball someday, maybe overseas in Japan. I’m hoping to do that,” he said of his dream. 

Holtz was voted No. 8 in the Star-Advertiser All-State Fab 15. He averaged 13 points per game and was one of the strongest defenders and rebounders in the state’s toughest league, the ILH. With teammates Bryce Forbes (Fab 15), Hayden Bayudan (Fab 15) and Tino Atonio, Damien qualified for the D-I state tourney for the first time since 1974. 

Listed at 6 feet, 5 inches, Holtz says he’s more like 6-4. That didn’t matter to Whitworth, a perennial powerhouse in NCAA Division III. Two weeks ago, well before the COVID-19 lockdown in the islands, Holtz, mother Kyoko and father Guy made the trek.

“Just in time before all this coronavirus started getting serious. We visited Sonoma State first. I thought that would be my choice, but I didn’t have a good feeling because they’ll probably have a coaching change. The coach didn’t even coach their season. Personal issues. The academics weren’t what I was looking for,” said Holtz, who has a 3.8 grade-point average.

Then came stops at Whitworth and Pacific.

“Whitworth has a winning program. They have a big Hawai’i population there. And one of their players is from Hawaii, Liam Fitzgerald (Leilehua). They made the Sweet 16.”

The financial package is stout. 

“They’re giving me a lot of money. I hardly  have to pay anything. It’s a good academic package,” Holtz said.

Holtz also has a walk-on opportunity at USF.

“I applied. They only gave me $10,000,” he said. 

Holtz is trying to stay in shape through the lockdown. 

“I work out at home. I’ve got a 25-pound dumbbell. Before we went on lockdown. I was going to Kapolei Rec Center,” Holtz said. “Now it’s strength workouts and jogging.”

Damien’s basketball team was ranked in the Top 4 most of the season. Playing in D-I after winning the D-II state title in 2019, the Monarchs reached the state semifinals. 

“The season was tough. We had a tough preseason going to California and playing in the ‘Iolani Classic, but I think it’ll help the future of Damien. None of the past Damien teams had these opportunities. I’m going to miss it for sure. It wasn’t the ending we wanted, but it was fun while it lasted.”

As for football, the coaches at Whitworth will probably keep asking Holtz about becoming a two-sport student-athlete. He was also one of the state’s top quarterbacks.

“it was just a high school thing,” he said. They were recruiting me for football too, but I don’t like as much. We’ll see if I miss it a lot.”


Comments