6 offers in 3 weeks equals 9 total for OL Austyn Kauhi


Three weeks ago, Kamehameha junior Austyn Kauhi was on the verge of going viral. 

Syracuse of the Atlantic Coast Conference became his third scholarship offer. The 6-foot-5, 260-pound right tackle had already garnered offers from Hawaii and Navy. 

Since then, Idaho, San Jose State, Nevada, Central Michigan and San Diego State made offers to Kauhi. On Monday, Fresno State came calling, which means Kauhi now has nine offers total. 

“It feels good,” said Kauhi, who frankly isn’t surprised. “Not really. I knew it was going to come, but I didn’t know when.” 

>> Fresno State
“Coach (Roman) Sapolu is the O-line coach. He does a lot of O-line barbecues. I can tell that they’re close.” 

Sapolu is a son of former Farrington, Hawaii and San Francisco 49ers great Jesse Sapolu. 

>> Idaho 
“I talked with the quarterbacks coach (Charley Molnar) and head coach (Paul Petrino). They like my size and how I play. I don’t know too much about the program. I know there’s some Hawaii boys that are over there.” 

>> San Jose State
“I talked with the O-line coach (Josh Oglesby). I like the area that they’re in, and it’s kind of close to home.” 

>> Nevada
“First I talked to coach Timmy Chang, and he talked to the O-line coach, Coach (Bill) Best.”

>> Central Michigan 
“(Tackles and tight ends) Coach (Tavita) Thompson, I know he’s serious about me. He wants to make sure that I’m comfortable with going so far away from home. To me, it’s not really a big deal, the distance and everything.”

>> San Diego State 
“I like that Coach (Savaii) Eselu knows how people from here are and how they play. Good connection. I remember when (former Kamehameha linebacker) Andrew Aleki went there, that’s what I first started liking them.” 

Kauhi has also had contact with Rutgers and Army.

“I kind haven’t been reaching out as much recently,” he said. 

His brother, Anstyn Kauhi, is a 6-2, 185-pound defensive back for the Damien Monarchs. 


From left: Austyn Kauhi, Cayd Tollefson-Oili, Kawika Clemente, Jameson Hussey, Micah Park. 
Photo courtesy of Austyn Kauhi.

Top 3 TV shows/movies
1. Criminal Minds (Netflix). 
2. Jiggin’ with Jordan (YouTube). “He dives into underwater caves or finds $100,000 watch that fell into the ocean. He goes fishing, too.” 
3. Fishing shows on YouTube. 

Top 3 food/snacks 
1. Mochi Ice Cream. “I like vanilla the best.” 
2. Cookie Dough Ice Cream from Ben & Jerry. 
3. Salmon. “I never used to like salmon. My friend’s parents or my mom, whoever makes it, I like it now.”

Top 3 video games
1. Fortnite. 
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. “I team up with (Kamehameha running back) Kawika Clemente. We all usually play Fornite, too.” 
3. “I used to play COD: Black Ops 2. That’s still my favorite game of all time.” 

The workouts at the home gym continue. 

“I’ve been doing more speed and lifting every day. I run in the back of my house,” Kauhi said. 

His newest skill is off the gridiron. 

“I’ve been cooking Carbonara pasta. I used to get the one from the store you just heat up, but now I make homemade noodles from scratch. I did it by hand,” Kauhi said. “My friend’s dad makes really good pasta, so I asked him. I watched him cook it.” 











Comments