All-State POY Keonilei Akana signs with national powerhouse Nebraska


This was quite the volleyball lottery for talented, tenacious Keonilei Akana.

The Star-Advertiser All-State player of the year from Kamehameha got her release from USC in the winter, then bided her time before committing to national powerhouse Nebraska on Friday. 

“I’m excited for this new journey. I’m looking forward to it,” Akana said on Saturday morning. 

It was quite the flurry of change after signing with USC. Akana committed to the Trojans on July 29 and signed her letter of intent in November. Then-Trojans coach Brent Crouch resigned on Jan. 14 to take the job at Auburn. USC was 18-14 and finished sixth in the Pac-12 standings. 

“That was his first year. I think he would’ve stayed. After he and his assistant got the job (at Auburn), he called to let us know. At the Triple Crown tournament in Kansas City (Mo.) in February, we talked,” Akana said. 

By then, Akana had sparked Kamehameha to another state title. She was still signed with USC when Brad Keller became the new coach. 

“He’s a great guy and coach, but asking him about my position and what’s next had me worried a little bit. It was a school I was in love with, but there was a lot of uncertainty with me as a freshman coming in, not knowing about the program they have now,” Akana said. 

Hawaii was at the top of her wish list along with Nebraska. Older sister Braelyn, who was an All-State Fab 15 selection at Kamehameha, is already at Hawaii. However, the Rainbow Wahine didn’t have a scholarship to offer, Akana said. Nebraska did. 

“My mom (Joselyn) is really excited. When she heard (Nebraska) was looking at me, she knows that’s a great program. Both my parents are excited for me,” Akana said. “Braelyn is happy for me. Of course, this is our first year not playing together. The chance of me playing with her would’ve been nice. UH was in the picture, but it didn’t work out.”

Coach John Cook completed his 19th season as Cornhuskers head coach and has guided the program to an NCAA appearance in each year. His teams won NCAA championships in 2006, ’15 and ’17. 

“It’s a whole different program. With the coach switch (at USC), I was looking for a school that has stability and a scholarship offer,” Akana said. 

The release came before the club tournament in Kansas City. The ‘Huskers got a good look at Akana, who played outside hitter and was an elite back-row player at Kamehameha. 

“We were reaching out to colleges and after they watched me play, I think the next week or two, they contacted Coach Chris (Blake) and my club coach (Kainoa Obrey),” Akana said. 

She called Nebraska assistant coach Jaylen Reyes, a former Kamehameha player. 

“Then I talked to Coach Cook and that’s when that happened. I know their program is a great program, so hearing what they need for this upcoming fall and what they had to say about my play, it was huge to hear that,” Akana said. “They do have a gap. Their libero/DS transferred out.” 

Nebraska reached the Elite 8 last season. Next year’s NCAA Final 4 will be in Omaha, Neb., on Dec. 17 and 19.


As for the COVID-19 lockdown, Akana is making the best of it. 

“They’re saying to be patient, wait it out because nobody knows what’s going on with this. I was supposed to go up in June,” she said. 

Akana is surrounded by a sister who plays college volleyball, a mother who played the game at Hawaii, a dad (Brandyn) who played college basketball and a younger brother (Tausili) who plays two sports at Kamehameha.

“Luckily, I have my other siblings so we've been doing home workouts in the back yard. I get to pepper and play with Brae, and sometimes we get to sneak away to a park just to stay active. A quick run just to stay in shape,” she said. “We don’t really know what’s going to happen. We haven’t done any weight training. Our uncle has a weight room so we’re planning to go there soon.”

All this down time means 24/7 family time.

“My mom mostly does the cooking, but she’s been having me help too. She wants me to prepare for college, so me and my sister are helping her. We’re not used to staying on the North Shore day after day. We’re used to commuting all the time,” Akana said. 

The term cabin fever is in play. 

“Sometimes, I’ll find a time when I wish I could go out and do something because I’m so bored,” she said. “But spending time with my family watching movies and eating together, that’s also good, too.” 

Comments