Campbell QB Blaine Hipa stoked about Hawaii offer



Blaine Hipa keeps working. 

Twice a week, sometimes more, he works out with personal coach Kelii Tilton. Mechanics. Execution. Delivery. 

On Thursday, the Campbell sophomore quarterback got word from Hawaii, which offered him a scholarship. It’s the second offer for Hipa, who also has one from Tennessee.

“I feel good, especially coming from home. It’s a big offer,” Hipa said. “I talked to my dad (Hekili), and he told me congratulations. He’s really proud of me.”

Hawaii is in its first year with new head coach Todd Graham, who has a history of wide-open spread offense. 

“I think their coaches have what it takes, all the extra things it will take to get to that next level. That’s really good for me,” Hipa said. 

As a sophomore last fall, Hipa passed for 2,582 yards and 31 touchdowns in the rough-and-tumble Open Division. He was 199-for-348 with 18 interceptions as Campbell reached the semifinal round of the state tournament. His big-play target, junior wide receiver/safety Titus Mokiao-Atimalala, received an offer from Arizona last week, his 17th. 

Hipa also has a 3.7 grade-point average. He was 6 feet, 1 inch and 175 pounds last season. 

Lockdown staples
Top 3 TV shows/movies
1. The Arrow. “I watch this every day. It’s on Netflix. I watched The Flash last year, and this is kind of like this.” 

2. Money Heist (Netflix). “Season 4 just started. I’m still in Season 1.” 

3. Tiger King (Netflix). “It’s pretty good. I just started watching it, too. I’m only on the second episode.” 

Top 3 food/snacks 
1. Gushers. “It’s kind of like a candy, a fruit snack.” 

2. Hot Pockets. “The pepperoni one. I eat one or two every day.” 

3. Propel (strawberry/kiwi). 

Top 3 Video Games
1. Fortnite. “I’m pretty decent at it. I’m not the best. I’ve been playing for awhile. I play with Mystik Sampaga (of Mililani) and Carson Murakami (of Campbell). And Peter Manuma. We team up.” 

2. Mortal Combat. “It’s a newer version with a lot of the same characters.” 

3. Call of Duty: Black Ops III. “It came out 2015. Nobody wants to play this with me, so I just play by myself.” 

There are other ways to kill time within the physical restrictions of COVID-19. 

“I’ve been playing volleyball a lot with my brother (Bradyn) mostly every day,” Hipa said. 

Comments