Central Michigan makes it two offers for Campbell S/LB Peter Manuma




There is nothing but devotion when it comes to Campbell football.

Peter Manuma is beginning to reap the rewards of his sacrifice. Central Michigan offered the junior a scholarship on Friday, the second for him. Hawaii was the first  university to make an offer. 

One of Campbell’s coaches, Brandon Childress, has a direct connection with Central Michigan. 

“One of their former players came to coach at our school. He’s the one who sent our film out to Central Michigan,” Manuma said. "Coach Chill." 

From there, the Chippewas returned the communication. 

“Coach Tavita Thompson messaged me on Twitter. He went to Saint Louis," Manuma said of CMU's Hawaii recruiter and tight ends coach. "We talked on the phone yesterday. It was an unexpected offer. He asked about me and my family and he hit me with the offer out of nowhere." 

Under first-year head coach Jim McElwain, the Chippewas were 8-6 last season. They lost to Miami, Ohio, 26-21 in the Mid-American Conference title game, and lost to San Diego State, 48-11, in the New Mexico Bowl. 

CMU already signed an island player, Saint Louis linebacker Lawai Brown, from this year’s senior class. Manuma has also heard from other programs. 

“I’ve been keeping in contact with UCLA, Utah, UNLV. Utah State — Coach Frank texted me the other day. Keeping in contact with Navy, Coach Billy Ray Stutzmann. Oregon State wanted me to come up for a visit, but I can’t because of this virus. Fresno State texted me,” Manuma said. 

Campbell coach Darren Johnson is seeing more and more of his Sabers qualify for college. 

“It’s good for the program. Kids just have to work hard, stay in and study, do what the school asks them to do,” he said.

Former Campbell assistant coach Kawe Johnson sees versatility in Manuma.

"I think he has his own style of play," said Johnson, who played at New Mexico State. "He's an athlete you can put anywhere on the field."

Hawaii remains very alluring.

"I like that it's here at home. I love the environment. Moving forward, it's a tough decision of where I want to continue my football and academic career," Manuma said. "The new coaching staff is already changing things as more boys from the island are getting offered. I'm looking forward to working out at the prospect camp on June 13 with (Hawaii assistant) coach Jacob Yoro."

Manuma, who has a 3,0 grade-point average, did everything asked of him. As a sophomore, he often was in pass coverage, providing tough run support from the third level. As a junior, with injuries depleting the defensive unit, Manuma was asked to tangle with the trench men in the interior. His play at inside linebacker was crucial for the Sabers, who got key players back from injuries late in the season for a run to the final four of the Open Division state tournament. 

At 5 feet, 11 inches and 175 pounds last fall, Manuma endured through the season against linemen in the Open — many who are going on to Division I college programs — while being outweighed by 75 to 130 pounds. So far, he has gained 10 pounds in the offseason. 

Though Manuma is technically 16 months away from his first collegiate game, he is trying to add more muscle and weight now without losing agility and explosiveness. CMU’s Thompson told Manuma his eventual position is up in the air. 

“He just told me I got two options. I can pack on weight and play in the box, or I can add speed and play safety, play an athletic versatile position like nickel,” Manuma said. “I’d rather play safety. I like coming downhill. 

Unless Campbell stocks up in the box this fall, Manuma will likely remain at linebacker for his final season of high school.

“At safety, my thing is reads. I’m so good with reads and I can read the quarterback from left to right, read the formation, everything. At safety, it’s easier, i can see the whole offense and call out reads that we saw in film,” he said. “Inside ‘backer is more of me shooting gaps, reading gaps and run first. Linebackers are always filling gaps.”

High metabolism for an athlete used to playing every down on defense also means it can be difficult to add that weight. Manuma is patient. 

“I don’t really have a weight room. I have some weights, but I live in a apartment complex so I put it in the back. I live across Asing Park, so I do footwork and i run two miles by myself. I’m usually always by myself,” he said. “I have a lot of goals. Trying to get to 215 by the time the season starts.”

That’s a lot of intake. 

“I have whey protein, protein shakes. Gold Standard. My favorite flavors are chocolate and vanilla,” Manuma said. 

His max on the bench press is 205 pounds. His high on squats is 315. With the school weight room off limits, Manuma does what he can during this COVID-19 lockdown. 

“My free time, I just play games or do prison workouts. Pushups, sit-ups, squats, crunches, 6-inches. Gotta get the abs,” he said. “We play charades. I’m the best at that,” he said.  

Mom (Queenie) and dad (Maiva Sr.) are home. Dad suffered a stroke two years ago and has paralysis on his right side. The kids do the chores. 

“The easiest is taking out the trash. Cleaning the bathroom, that’s not my favorite,” he said. 

The SAT was scheduled for the week after spring break last month. There are a large number of student-athletes who were ready to take the test for a first time. Manuma has a plan for college. 

“I want to major in mechanical engineering or become a real estate agent,” he said. “Flipping houses and properties. I’m learning from my teacher, Mr. (Richard) Ricafrente.” 

Comments