Damien IF Jordan Donahue: 'We were always the underdog'


Brothers Christian and Jordan Donahue work out at home.

Jordan Donahue’s hopes and dreams as a Damien Monarch ended on Friday. 

The cancellation of the high school baseball season due to the COVID-19 pandemic was not a surprise. The finality is still hard to accept. Donahue, a standout infielder who committed to Oregon State two years ago, can’t fill the void. 

“I think when they officially cancelled it, it hit us hard. Us seniors we were really looking forward to playing this year. I think we had a good chance of winning the (Division II) state title,” Donahue said. “We were just hoping for the best. There’s nothing we could do about it. I’m going to miss competing for Damien. We were always the underdog, playing against D-I was always fun. Nothing to lose, do our best. I’m going to miss all my high school friends. Now that it’s over, it’s heartbreaking for sure.” 

As a freshman in 2017, Donahue's team reached the D-II state final and lost to Kauai, 5-4, at Les Murakami Stadium. In '18, Damien routed Konawaena, Farrington and Radford by a combined score of 31-4 to capture the state title. Last season, St. Francis won the ILH crown and Damien stayed home. St. Francis went on to capture the state championship before closing its doors. 

The one thing that is irreplaceable for Donahue was one last season playing for his coach and father, Timo Donahue. 

“We’re both disappointed because this was our last year together. That was definitely sad. He’s coached me the last 14 years of my life,” Donahue said. 

The classes are far from done, all online every morning. 

“We have Zoom. Class is at 7:30 a.m., and we get out at 11,” said Donahue, who is not always a morning person. “I can’t wait until I’m sleeping in.”

After homework is done, Donahue gets in the back yard and works out with older brother Christian. Christian Donahue, a former Star-Advertiser All-State position player of the year at ‘Iolani, is in the Chicago Cubs organization and played Double A ball last year. 

“I have to try and keep in the best condition I can, and even for the summer,” he said. “Actually, I have a little weight room in the garage and a net in the backyard I hit with my brother Christian. I try to go for 200 cuts (every day). He’s definitely given me pointers along the way. He’s been around so many big-name guys. Growing up, our dad practically made our swings. He was our hitting guy all our lives. He’s our go-to guy.”

Jordan is hoping the summer collegiate leagues won’t be cancelled. 

“We’re in the West Coast Collegiate Summer League (WCL) in Oregon, Washington and British Columbia. We play 70-something games,” said Donahue, who has played in Arizona and Florida. “I think if we have the summer season, come back home for a week, and straight out to Corvallis.”

There’s also the MLB Draft. 

“Best-case scenario is get drafted this year or go to Oregon State for two years. I’ll be draft eligible then,” he said. 

Donahue’s favorite team is the Boston Red Sox, who traded Mookie Betts to the Los Angeles Dodgers this off-season.

“My favorite player is Dustin Pedroia. He’s been having knee problems. He tried to come back and he got reinjured,” he said. “Mookie, they had to get something in return.” 

Lockdown staples
Top 3 TV shows/movies
1. All-American (Netflix)
2. Prison Break (Hulu)
3. Money Ball 

Top 3 food/snacks
1. Spicy Ahi (Ono’s Seafood, Kapahulu)
2. Gatorade (lemon lime)
3. M&M McFlurry. 

Top 3 music artists
1. NBA Youngboy
2. Drake
3. Rod Wave

Top 3 video games
1. Fortnite. “I used to hardly play, but now that we’re on lockdown, I’m playing almost every day. As long as I get my school work done, my parents don’t usually mind.” 
2. MLB The Show
3. NBA2K 

Comments