Lahainaluna RB Josh Tihada stoked about opportunity at UNLV



The grind never stops for Josh Tihada.

The Lahainaluna senior keeps churning. The opportunities keep opening. The workhorse running back received a preferred walk-on opportunity from UNLV on Thursday. Running Rebels assistant coach Chad Kauhaahaa is a former Baldwin coach who recruits the islands extensively. 

“He wanted me to be there. I’ll have a great opportunity to work hard, prove myself. He always pushed for me with their coaching staff to get a chance to play for UNLV,” Tihada said. 

Tihada was a force of nature for the Division II state champion Lunas. He rushed for 310 yards and four touchdowns on 36 carries as Lahainaluna defeated Kapaa 21-10 in the final. Tihada is a four-time state-champion Luna. Now he prepares for the next step. 

There are opportunities at Pacific and Whitworth. Pacific Lutheran was the first to approach Tihada. There has also been a smidge of interest from Washington State. UNLV feels like the right fit for now. 

“I’ve been to UNLV multiple times. Pop Warner, we had games there. Then we went with our Pylon team. It’s really nice,” Tihada said. “I got to see the (new) stadium being built during the Polynesian Bowl Combine last year. I’m pretty excited for it.” 

Tihada also played defense and special teams at Lahainaluna. He’s preparing for anything. 

“They talked to the running backs coach so I’m looking to play running back at UNLV. Any way I can benefit the team and get on the field, I’ll take the opportunity,” he said. 

If he enrolls there as expected in June, he would stay on campus or with family. 

“My mom’s cousin’s family is there,” Tihada said.


Garret Tihada, Lahainaluna's longtime co-head coach, took a break last season. He still helped out when he had time. His nephew, Josh, has not surprised him at all. 

"He has always had a high football IQ, Coach Tihada said. "Physically, his ability to withstand and also deliver hits was impressive. He put in a lot of time in the weight room over a span of about seven years, and it showed." 

Tihada has a 3.4 grade-point average and has applied for several academic scholarships, including a WUE (Western Undergraduate Exchange). Day by day during this COVID-19 pandemic lockdown, he tries to stay busy by working out with older brother Justin and younger brother Kaulana.  

“Everyone is in cruise control. I have a bench and some weights at home. I live two blocks from the park so I go and do some drills with my brothers. They throw me some footballs, tennis balls. Just some fundamentals,” he said. 

He is bench pressing 235 pounds currently. His all-time max was 245 as a junior. There’s no squat rack at home, though. His best was 395 earlier this year at the Lunas’ weight room. 

“I’m not in as good shape as I was in football season. I would say I’m in steady shape. I’ve been playing basketball. That keeps my cardio going,” Tihada said. “I put on some weight. During season I was 175, now I’m 180 to 182.”

In 32 games, Tihada rushed for 3,504 yards and 67 TDs. In his nine state-tournament contests, Tihada rushed for 1,087 yards and 18 TDs (176 attempts).





Comments