Punahou LB Kahanu Kia adds Arizona to list of offers


It hasn’t taken Andy Buh much time to make an impact.

Arizona hired Buh as outside linebackers coach in January. On Wednesday, the Wildcats made a scholarship offer to Punahou junior linebacker Kahanu Kia. Arizona also has offers to Campbell junior wide receiver/safety Titus Mokiao-Atimalala, Mililani junior linebacker Wynden Hoohuli and Kapolei junior defensive lineman Zhen-Keith Sotelo. Prior to Arizona, Buh was a defensive coordinator at Rutgers (2019) and Maryland (2016-18). He began coaching as a graduate assistant in ’97 at Nevada.

“Arizona's been texting me for three weeks now,” Kia said. “I’m super excited and grateful. I want to check them out, but it’s hard with the coronavirus. I think I’ll visit there, we’ll see. I like that they have. They have to potential to be a good team.”

That makes it seven FBS offers for Kia, a 6-foot-2, 210-pounder outside ‘backer. Kia also has offers from Colorado, Hawaii, San Diego State, UNLV, Utah, Utah State and Washington State. Dartmouth and Princeton also have viable financial assistance opportunities for him. Ivy League football programs do not offer athletic scholarships.

Kia believes the offer would have come sooner, but the effects of COVID-19 slowed the process as coaches and other staff moved home to do work.

“They had to wait it out,” he said.

Kia’s athleticism and strength are added value.

“They like my instincts and my versatility for the most part, and the way I play. I kind of talked to the defensive coordinator, and they like me as an inside ‘backer. That’s what most colleges like me at. I play outside at Punahou because that’s what we need, but in the future I’ll be inside,” he said.

The texts keep coming.

“Most of them are from coaches who already offered,” Kia said. “Every week, the coaches will check in.”



Comments