Roosevelt sophomore Kaeo Akana nabs first Pac-12 offer: Utah

Kaeo Akana and grandfather Aike Grace

Kaeo Akana keeps working every day.

Bench press. Squat. Hang cleans. The Roosevelt sophomore is seeing results. On Friday, Utah became the second FBS school to offer Akana a football scholarship.

“My video’s out there in my bio. I guess they can see it,” said Akana, who is 6 feet, 3.5 inches and 205 pounds. “I never had Twitter before until two weeks ago. Whatever happens, happens. This is kind of crazy. It’s very surprising to me.”

Hawaii made the first offer one week ago. Akana’s athleticism, length and finishing ability are major factors as a defensive end who can cover. Akana, who had 23 sacks for Roosevelt, has seen footage of Utah’s defense, which was led by former Kahuku standout Bradlee Anae.

“Coach (Lewis) Powell compared me to him, the size coming out of high school. He was 216 coming out of high school, now he’s 240. He does some coverage,” Akana said. “I watched their D-linemen. They’re relentless and their aggression is on a different level. That’s what I like.”

If he winds up playing for the Utes, Akana could line up with former St. Francis defensive standout Takaamoatoa Lautaha. When Lautaha was a senior, Akana was an eighth grader playing for St. Francis’ intermediate team.

“Taka is going to Utah. He just came back back from his mission,” Akana said. “He’s like a big brother to me. That would be cool and amazing to play with him. I look up to him. He’s a great leader.”


Akana said Arizona has been in contact with Roosevelt coach Kui Kahooilihala. 

“I’m going to keep doing what I’m doing and training for the upcoming season,” Akana said. 

Oldest brother Bubba Akana is playing baseball at Hawaii. Brother Chase Akana will play baseball at a junior college next spring. Could he cover them in a one-on-one pass-coverage battle? 

“I’d probably shut (Bubba) out. Maybe he’d get two and I’d get two,” he said. “If I had to cover Chase, he’s too fast.”

The NFL Draft enters its second day and Anae is among the top players projected to be selected. Akana watched day one and was surprised. 

“Isaiah Simmons. I thought he was going to go higher, fourth or third (round) maybe,” he said. “Chase Young, he’s a bad man.” 

Lockdown staples update
1. Deadliest Catch (Discovery). “It’s a dangerous job.”
2. Wicked Tuna (Nat Geo). 
3. Chicago Fire (NBC). 

Top 3 foods/snack
1. Hot Cheeto Puffs.

2. Steak (medium rare). “My dad makes it with butter. Mushrooms. Corn. I can cook rice well. Spam, eggs, rice. Popcorn. But not steak.” 

3. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. “I keep it in the fridge. Me, my dad and brothers eat them.” 

4. Ice cream. “Neapolitan. Meadow Gold. I guess we have to look for another one. Haagen Dazs.”

Top 3 Video Games
1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. “I play with Jackie, my brother, Bubba, and my other friend, Jordan Champhara.” 

2. NBA2K. “I play random people from all over online. I’m still like a low, overall. I’m working on it.” 

3. Rocket League. “It’s a soccer game with cars. I don’t play Fortnite. I retired from that.”

Measurables
Bench press: 225 pounds, six reps. Max 265.

Squat: Max 385. 

Comments