Syracuse makes offer to Saint Louis OL Kalan Ellis


Six days a week, Kalan Ellis is on the grind.

In the morning, online classes with his teachers at Saint Louis. In the evening, weight lifting, boxing and running the hill. The 6-foot-5, 350-pound junior also keeps his phone charged properly. That’s a big reason why he hears from Syracuse offensive line coach Mike Cavanaugh, who ran a tight ship with his crew at Hawaii two decades ago.

The Orange made a scholarship offer to Ellis last week. That makes it two offers for Ellis, who was offered by Hawaii a month ago. Syracuse has also an offer to Kamehameha offensive lineman Austyn Kauhi

“Coach Cavanaugh offered me. We actually text, like every day. He updates me,” Ellis said. “Syracuse, when I found out it’s in New York, I thought that’s cool. My cousin said there’s a lot of things to do there. It’s pretty big. They’re like a three- or four-hour drive (from New York City."

Syracuse head coach Dino Babers played linebacker for Hawaii during the Bob Wagner era.

“I heard the coach saying they try to include some Hawaiian ohana over there. It’s a good way to keep the football team as one,” Ellis said.

The daily routine during this COVID-19 lockdown has been consistent for Ellis, who has a 3.5 grade-point average.

“It feels like it’s still last month. Time flies. We still take our classes (online). Start at 7:30 every day and our teachers post assignments,” he said. “I like it because they post all the work at same time and I can just get it done in the morning. I don’t have to worry about it the entire day.”

There is likely to be a domino effect for Ellis in the recruiting game.

“Some other colleges I’ve been talking to are Oregon, Oregon State, UCLA, San Diego State, Nevada and Northwestern. They like my size and the way I can move on the field. The first thing they always ask for is my transcripts,” he said.

In his mind, Ellis is making up for a bit of lost time.

“Probably, I wish I started lifting earlier, like my eighth grade year. I didn’t focus on that much,” he noted.

By 5:30 p.m., Monday through Saturday, Ellis and older brother Kenny head meet at the home of a cousin, Stason Serikawa, in Waimanalo.

“We squat, bench and do other stuff that he teaches me. For legs, we do lunges up the hill and carry dumbbells up the hill,” he said. “Then he teaches us how to box. We’re going to start sparring with each other, but he’s teaching me the basics. I never did boxing before.”

Ellis’ brother, Kenny, is 6-6.

“He’s skinny. We’re 11 years apart. He’s the only one that can spar me because he’s my height. The hands and the movement, it’s good cardio for me. And then I run,” Ellis said. “Sometimes we do a mile. Some sprints up the hill, race up the hill. Me, my brother and my cousin runs with his sister (Salina Serikawa). She plays softball at Kailua. She’s a senior so this kind of sucks.”

In between school work and training, Ellis makes time for Netflix.

“I’m actually watching Soul Plane. Kevin Hart. I give it an 8 or 9,” he said. “The Office. I give that a 10.”

Comments