UH offer to Saint Louis sophomore RG Jonah Savaiinaea

Jonah Savaiinaea
Photo courtesy of Grant Shishido @MrFaster

Hawaii is looking for a double hammer deal when the 2022 season kicks off. 

The Warriors already have a scholarship offer to Saint Louis left tackle Kalan Ellis. On Friday, the new coaching staff at Manoa made offers to sophomore right guard Jonah Savaiinaea and sophomore right tackle La‘akea Kapoi. 

Savaiinaea was 6-3 and 320 pounds last season as Saint Louis’ starting right guard. He is now 6-3 1/2, 330. The Crusaders have won the last four Open Division state titles. 

“I feel great, man. It’s my first offer. It means a lot,” he said. “That would be awesome playing next to each other, having each other’s backs, knowing how each other plays. We would communicate well with each other. We know what to do.” 


La‘akea Kapoi and Jonah Savaiinaea
Photo courtesy of Grant Shishido @MrFaster

Savaiinaea, who may be the best video game player on his team, took a break from homework and his online games to share the news. 

“My parents are proud. My mom was happy when she came home from work,” he said. 

He has also been progressive. 

“I’ve been sending my highlights to BYU, Oregon, LSU,” Savaiinaea said. 

He’s making the best of a modest workout environment during the COVID-19 lockdown. 

“I don’t have equipment. I’m trying to get some to work out at home. We have a little bit of space outside. We have stairs so we run up and down. We do some pushups, air squats. We’ll do an obstacle course with my sister (Yvette) and brother (Julian),” Savaiinaea said. “Julian is a freshman (at Saint Louis). He plays D-line. He’s (very good).”

Savaiinaea’s lockdown staples
Top 3 shows
1. "I watch a lot of NBA2K, Madden on YouTube."
2. Beyond Scared Straight (YouTube).

Top 3 food/snacks
1. Meat loaf. “My auntie (Ramona Tauai) makes it.”
2. Fried chicken from KFC. 
3. Scones. “Homemade. My auntie makes it.” 

Top 3 music artists
1. The Baby

Top 3 Video Games
1. Madden. “AJ Bianco is the toughest, but I beat him now. You can tell him that.” 
2. NBA2K. “People are starting to hop on 2K now. I’m better at Madden.” 
3. Fortnite. “I still play Fortnite when nobody’s on 2K. I stopped playing Call of Duty.” 

Once in a while, there’s music to fill the air. 

“I’ve been playing guitar and piano for a long time. I like to play worship songs, gospel songs on piano,” Savaiinaea said. “But I don’t sing. My mom (Annette Savaiinaea) sings.” 


Savaiinaea ohana (from left): Julian (brother), Joe (father), 
Anette (mother), Jireh (brother), Jonah, Yvette (sister).



Comments