UH offer to Saint Louis sophomore RT La‘akea Kapoi

La‘akea Kapoi (79)
Photo courtesy of Grant Shishido @MrFaster

They aren’t twins, but they are almost joined at the hip. 

La‘akea Kapoi and Jonah Savaiinaea line up on the right side of the Saint Louis offensive line. If Hawaii has its way, the behemoth sophomores will do the same in a few years as Warriors. Hawaii made scholarship offers to the two hulking linemen on Friday as first-year UH head coach Todd Graham and his staff make a major convergence on island talent this week. 

“After we got offered, (Savaiinaea) called me. It was pretty cool because we’re the same grade. Me and him have a good connection. Best side, strong side, we call it,” Kapoi said. 

Combined, Kapoi and Savaiinaea may have the highest grade-point average in the state. Kapoi has a 3.5 and Savaiinaea has a 3.7. 

Kapoi was 6 feet, 2 inches and 285 pounds last season as a starting right tackle for the Crusaders, who captured their fourth HHSAA Open Division state title in a row. He is now 6-4, 300 pounds. 

“I was really excited. I have an offer to start off my recruiting process, especially since my brother (Alema) is there,” Kapoi said, referring to one of his older brothers who transferred to UH. 

Oldest brother Micah is now a graduate assistant coach at Wisconsin. 

“My parents are excited, very excited. I still have to work, keep on going,” Kapoi said. 

Sophomores have restricted communication with college coaches by rule, but Kapoi is savoring his first scholarship offer. He is also very grateful. 

“I want to shout out one of my coaches. He’s my key to my success. He’s helped me grow. I’d like to shout out Brian Derby. Those words hit, and he’s old school, but he helped me mature up and become more of a man on the field. He wants perfection,” Kapoi said. 


La‘akea Kapoi and Jonah Savaiinaea

The COVID-19 lockdown has kept student-athletes secluded, but Kapoi has a fairly good situation at home. 

“We have a garage. We have a bench press, dumbbells, bands. We bought it a long time ago. I don’t think I was born yet. My dad used it, then my brothers,” he said. 

His max on the squat is 445 pounds. There’s no squat rack at home, however. 

“The last time I PR’d was at school,” Kapoi said. 

His bench max is 265. He has done 10 reps of 225. Not bad for a sophomore. 

“I run every day. I run sprints, O-line drills,” he said.  

Hawaii will have a new offensive scheme, but Kapoi believes it will be similar to what Saint Louis has with the four-wide, shotgun attack. 

“I think I can do anything they ask. Their plays are similar to Saint Louis’ plays, so I can adjust and do whatever they ask,” he said. 

Crusaders left tackle Kalan Ellis, a junior, was offered by Hawaii in February. 

Kapoi’s lockdown staples

Top 3 TV shows/movies 
1. Blind Side. 
2. Equalizer. 
3. Bench Warmers. 

Top 3 food/snacks
1. Corned beef. “I make my own. I eat that with rice. That’s pretty good right there.” 
2. Pop-Tarts (blueberry and S’mores). “I toast it.”
3.* “I miss my grandma (Patricia Su‘a)’s beef stew. She lives on the East side in Kailua. I can’t make it, sadly.” 

Top 3 music artists
1. Lil Baby
2. NBA Youngboy
3. NoCap

Top 3 Video Games
1. Madden. “I use Eagles, but I’m not really that good.” 
2. NBA2K. “I have never beaten Jonah. He’s good at everything he plays. He’s a game maniac.” 
3. Fortnite. “I play a little. I’m not that into it. I just play it when there’s nothing to do.” 

So what else has been different during the lockdown? 

“I’ve been doing more chores, especially in our yard. We have a big yard,” Kapoi said. 

Kapoi ohana
Front: Dean (father), Patti (mother), Mehana (twin sister).
Back: Micah (brother), La‘akea, Alema (brother). 



Comments