UNLV, CMU, USU make it 8 offers for Punahou DB Kilinahe Mendiola-Jensen


In a 24-hour span, Kilinahe Mendiola-Jensen received three more scholarship offers. 

Since Mar. 26, when the Naval Academy became the first FBS football program to offer a scholarship, the Punahou junior’s list has expanded to eight. 

The most recent were UNLV on Wednesday, and Central Michigan and Utah State on Thursday morning. 

“I’m blessed right now with these opportunities these coaches are giving me. It really helps my family and me financially, another platform to better my education and play the game I love,” Mendiola-Jensen said. 

The defensive back is 6 feet, 2 inches, and is crawling higher on the scale at around 155 pounds. The protein shakes help. 

“I’m eating as much has I can. No specific thing, just eating whatever my mom makes,” he said. 

UNLV’s offer came from the new coaching staff in place. 

“I talked to the corners coach, Coach Tre (Watson). I think he’s a really good coach. He talked about me about the facilities and also told me what I need to work on when he saw my film,” Mendiola-Jensen said. “I have lots of family, and I know lots of people up there in Vegas. My auntie them live up there, too, right now.”

CMU defensive line coach Tavita Thompson, the former Saint Louis standout, offered him a scholarship today. 

“It was awesome. He was telling me about their football program, how they’re rebuilding. He was very straight-up with me which I really like, their new coaching staff and the changes they made. It made a big difference and it’s really cool,” Mendiola-Jensen said. 

Justin Ena, inside linebackers coach at Utah State, followed with the Aggies’ offer. 

“We talked about the school and academics, the sports. They really talked about how much they want me. That was awesome, too,” he said. 

In chronological order: 

Navy (AAC)
Army (independent)
Idaho (Big Sky)
Sacramento State (Big Sky)
Eastern Washington (Big Sky)
UNLV (Mountain West) 
Central Michigan (Mid-American) 
Utah State (Mountain West)

Another school that has kept in touch is San Diego State (MWC). 

“I have no preference,” said Mendiola-Jensen, who remains in touch with the coaches. “I still text them almost every day.”



The rush of offers within a five-week span has been mind-blowing. He feels the love. 

“It’s like when you have a big family, and there’s one cookie in the cookie jar,” Mendiola-Jensen said. “My parents (Mark and Hoku) tell me to keep my head down, stay humble and continue what I’m doing. They let me handle all this and they let me take the ropes and support me in any way.”

His method for building connections follows a similar route taken by Punahou teammates Kahanu Kia and Tevarua Tafiti. 

“I don’t know. It wasn’t expected. I just was talking to the coaches and they ended up offering me. I send out my videos to them first (through Twitter), introduce myself, tell them I’m interested, and they’d watch it and respond. We’d talk about more than football. We’d talk like we’re friends, get close to each other and get to know each other a lot more,” Mendiola-Jensen said. 

Having a 3.0 grade-point average helps. The daily grind continues during the COVID-19 pandemic. Online classes in the morning. Workouts in the afternoon. 

“I’m still working out in the back yard. Ladders, hurdles — the little workout hurdles — and the little octagon. I lift, too (at Sports Medicine).”

And he’s spending time with younger sister Makamae, the rodeo competitor. A little volleyball, scooter riding and roping the dummy. 








Comments