Army, Navy open chase for Punahou DB/OLB Jonah Henry



At 6 feet, 2 inches and 180 pounds, Jonah Henry is quite handy around the house.

The Punahou junior has been in the thick of renovations to his family’s home. He is also versatile on the football field. Army and Navy expressed their sentiments about his ability by offering him scholarships last week, the first two for the Punahou linebacker/defensive back. 

“It’s definitely surreal. I’m overwhelmed with the blessings these past couple of days. It’s kind of crazy because we grew up dreaming about getting offers. I pray I’ll get more offers and follow God’s plan,” Henry said. 

Life in the military academies, at least at West Point and Annapolis, is demanding, to say the least. 

“(Army) would actually send me a routine and it’s not what most people think. You wake up at 6:30, be at the cafeteria before 7, go to school until 11:30. Then lift, work out, practice, then tutoring, back to the dorm, sleep. Once the spring comes, that’s when you wake up early,” Henry said. 

On Wednesday, Army, via assistant coach Sean Saturnio, offered him a scholarship in the morning. Then Navy assistant coach Billy Ray Stutzmann did likewise. 

“It was funny, though. I didn’t expect Navy, only been talking to them for three weeks. Not even an hour after Army offered,” Henry said. 

Saturnio was a longtime coach at Moanalua before joining the staff at Army. 

“Me and Coach Sean have been in touch since February. He reached out to me and we talked a little bit. We had a pause on our recruiting then early March, I’d say. I really like that guy, Coach Sean reaches out to local boys. I appreciate that. He has a lot of love for the football here,” Henry said. 

Stutzmann played at Hawaii and joined the Midshipmen last year. 

“He asked how my day was going. I said I got my first offer, and he said we’re going to be your second offer,” Henry said. 

Naturally, this isn’t the end quite yet when it comes to the recruiting side of life. Fresno State, Eastern Washington and Hawaii are also in the loop. 

“They’re in touch with me every day,” Henry said. “You’ve got to be able to reply fast with that. They notice when you want to show interest or not.” 

Henry lined up at linebacker last season, but projects as a defensive back at the next level. 

“(Saturnio) didn’t really go into to too much detail. But he wants me to get out there and make a difference. I’ll be down to play anywhere,” Henry said. 

“I’ve played some nickel, wherever Coach Kale (Ane) has me. They can throw me outside. I actually started at outside my sophomore year from the second game on. My natural position is defensive back. i’m able to cover, too,” he said. 

Ane was put on paid leave as a co-athletic director and head coach last week as the school investigates sexual misconduct allegations by a former assistant basketball coach. Assistant coach Leonard Lau is now the interim head coach. 

"(Ane) isn't coaching anymore, but he still coaches me up here and there when I need it," Henry said. 

Henry is staying fit by working out at Sports Medicine with Pat Ariki. 

“It’s an essential workplace so it’s always open. I’m there three times a week. They have a little strip in the front so we can do our running, sled,” Henry said. 

His max on the bench press is a healthy 230 pounds. On the squat rack, he is a beast. 

“I didn’t PR in a long time, but it’s close to 550. When I was younger, I used to always work out with my uncle Jack Cambra in Kuliouou and he has a gym right in his home,” Henry said. 

School is still in session. Henry and his classmates have made the transition to online classes. He carries a robust 3.4 grade-point average and took his SAT in the winter. His availability — academic qualification — opened doors. 

“I’m fortunate that my parents sent me to a school where it’s mandatory to take the SAT my junior year and senior year. I’m probably going to take it two or three more times. The first time is just to get used to the questions, and be more prepared for the next one,” Henry said. “My parents (Kiana and stepdad Keone Abaya) are definitely happy for me getting offers to the academies. They want to know what it’s about. They’re definitely OK with the mandatory of five years (in the service) upon graduation. They guarantee a job in your first year and a salary of at least $70,000.”

Henry’s biological father, former Saint Louis and Arizona standout Joseph Siofele, is very stoked. Siofele played defensive end and linebacker with the Wildcats, earning Pac-12 honorable mention honors as a senior. 

“He is beyond proud of me. He’s always pushing for my future, so I made him proud. He would like me to get an offer to his alma mater, Arizona,” he said. 

Henry’s dream schools, however, are USC and Washington. 

“I’ve always wanted to play with USC on (EA Sports) NCAA. It’s between UW or USC. Those schools I visited last year (unofficially),” he said. 

Meanwhile, the work continues at home. 

“My family is renovating the downstairs part of the house, so I’m working a lot with my grandpa (Juvie Coito) and learning a lot about construction. Learning how to break down a wall, build a wall, put tiles on the floor,” he said. 

Lockdown staples
Top 3 shows
1. All-American (Netflix)
2. Tiger King (Netflix)
3. Happy (Netflix). “It’s a pretty funny show.”

Top 3 foods/snacks/drinks
1. Lemon peel gummy bears. “My uncle (Fa Thompson) keeps it at his house. I wash his car sometimes.”
2. Nutella waffles. “I put the Eggo waffled in the toaster, pop it up, put chocolate Nutella and honey, and I make a sandwich.”
3. Chocolate shake. “From anywhere. Zippy’s.”



Comments