CLOSING THE BOOK: Coach Gilbert Silva's final season at Maui High

Photo courtesy of Coach Gilbert Silva

Closing the Book: Maui (13-6, 9-3 MIL)
vs. Top 10: 4-6 (.400)
Top 10 wins: SEAB, KK, LAH, KK
Top 10 losses: SEAB, KK, LAH, LAH, KK, KK
Non-Top 10 losses: None 
Home: 7-2
Away: 5-2
Neutral: 1-2
Playoffs: 0-2

The Maui Sabers are on the way up, but Coach Gilbert Silva won’t be there for the rest of the ride. 

The longtime girls basketball coach saw his Sabers — with just one senior — improve with a 9-3 record in a tougher-than-usual MIL schedule. After 19 seasons at the helm, the school released him last week. Coach Silva emphasized that it was "a mutual decision."

“I really wanted to come back and do it again. I think they decided to go into a different direction. For me, I was telling my wife, I’m sad. I think we have the team that has the potential next year to take the MIL and go to the state tournament and play teams like ‘Iolani and Kahuku,” said Silva, who also coached football and boys basketball in the past. “I have a good athletic director and a good principal. I’ve had no problems with them, but maybe they see something that I don’t see.”

Silva’s run as a coach in three sports, not always concurrently, was 36 years. The Maui High girls were 13-6 overall and competed closely for one of the league’s two state-tournament berths. The Sabers were second in the regular season, then lost to King Kekaulike in a tiebreaker game for a berth. One of Maui’s signature victories was a 46-45 win over perennial powerhouse Lahainaluna. 

The Sabers, like many other teams statewide, got hit by the flu bug at the worst possible time. They lost their starting point guard, Jordyn Luna, for the final two weeks of the season, as well as their starting center (Kylena Rieta) and backup center (Kiana Manuel). Maui still managed to give King Kekaulike a battle in a playoff loss and the tiebreaker defeat. 

Maui was 4-6 against Top 10 opponents, a win total that was surpassed by a select group: Division I state champion ‘Iolani (20-2), Maryknoll (13-8), Konawaena (12-4), Punahou (8-12), Waiakea (7-4), Kamehameha (7-12) and Lahainaluna (5-8).

Now, Silva, a retired insurance agent who still works part-time as a cook at Tasty Crust, savors the memory of his final season. 

“I’m going to miss the camaraderie we had together. We were a very close team. Instead of the coaches talking all the time, the teammates would come together and support her. I said, always be positive. Don’t say I can’t do it,” said Silva, 71. “I’m going to miss their smiles.”

The 2019-20 season began with Maui’s tournament. The Sabers defeated Kapaa and Molokai before falling to D-II powerhouse Seabury Hall, 45-37. 

“I was thinking we had pretty good offseason training. We had our weightlifting coach, lifting Tuesdays and Thursdays, conditioning as well, so we were pretty much ready for the opening of the season,” Silva said. 

The Sabers had expected to play in King Kekaulike’s tournament the following week, but the field was trimmed from 16 to 12 teams.

“We couldn’t reschedule. I knew I couldn’t schedule more games. We could’ve gone to Nanakuli’s tourney, they’re physical and we needed that. But it was too late,” he said. 

Just like that, the MIL regular season tipped off on Dec. 2. The Sabers defeated Kamehameha-Maui, 52-28, then went upcountry and lost to young King Kekaulike, 63-42, two nights later. 

“We did OK against Kamehameha, but King Kekaulike gave us a dirty spanking. Then we settled down,” Silva said. 

The morning after the loss, the Sabers boarded the ferry and headed to the Pineapple Island. 

“When we went to Lanai, we got closer as a team and started with momentum,” he said. “Everything was scheduled ahead of time, and I told the (MIL) basketball coordinator we would travel. We slept in the gym. They were nice enough to cook for us after every game. We went to breakfast and lunch at the Blue Ginger.” 

They routed Kealakehe, Kalaheo and host Lanai, and also posted a 42-37 win over the same Seabury Hall squad. By then, Seabury Hall was in the Star-Advertiser Top 10.  

“Our girls was more confident and we as coaches knew what our players could do. We wanted to double-team their center and they also had good guards. That’s why I was really, really surprised that they lost in the state tournament. That was a confidence builder for us, for sure. We worked hard for it and our girls did a lot of intensity. They wanted to win. They had the willingness to win,” Silva said. 

After five games in four days, they ferried back to the Valley Isle. They had Sunday to rest, and then dynastic Lahainaluna on Monday. The Lady Lunas routed the Sabers, 59-33. Then next game wasn’t for another 11 days.

“We said, let’s learn from the loss. What do we need to do for the next week-and-a-half? That gave us a chance to physically rest and get ready to rock again. Our legs got fresh and our girls played well,” Silva said. 

Maui began a seven-game win streak, posting two wins over King Kekaulike and and one over Lahainaluna during the a 26-day span. The Sabers learned from their first, disappointing battle with Na Alii.

“We knew they have a good point guard and a good shooting guard, so we played face-up man to man, stayed with them like glue, and see if the other three girls could beat us,” Silva said of the 63-52 homeport win. “(Ledjan Pahukoa) and their shooters, they hurt us but this time we shut them down. They have pretty good players,” Silva said. “The other Pahukoa (Kreyajan) did well against us.” 

By the time Maui met Lahainaluna, the Sabers were No. 10 in the state. The same day they landed in the rankings, they hosted the Lunas. 

“We were ready for them. They weren’t as strong as previous years,” he said of the 46-45 win. “We felt good about the season. I was happy. The girls were happy. They were working hard in the weight room and practice. Everything was doing good.”

It was Maui’s best run in MIL play in years. 

“We felt great. We set a goal, we’re getting close to the goal. We just have to continue doing the things we’re doing. We got better with our defense and started to shoot more free throws because I knew a lot of games would be close,” Silva said. 

As with all things in the MIL Division I chase, iron sharpened iron. After sitting with an 8-2 mark, Maui escaped with a 35-31 win at Kamehameha-Maui, then lost at Lahainaluna, 42-28. 

“That was Lahainaluna’s homecoming. They always want to play us on their homecoming,” said Silva, a Lahainaluna graduate. “The unfortunate thing that happened was, we got caught with the flu. Our point guard, a freshman who is very good, she had the flu. Our center, our senior leader, she had pneumonia. We got hit with our reserve center, she got the flu, too. I would tell them, ‘The weather wasn’t all that great. Use a jacket.’ They said, ‘Oh no coach, I’m OK.’ “

A 70-48 win over Baldwin put the Sabers in second place as the playoffs loomed. 

“As we move along, the games are getting close. I want to play our 13 girls as much as possible. When it’s close, maybe three of them wouldn’t play. I was just hoping we could get away with a win,” Silva said.

At Lahainaluna’s gym, King Kekaulike edged Maui, 43-40. Lahainaluna won the playoffs and earned a state berth. Maui and King Kekaulike met in a tiebreaker playoff for the other berth, and Na Alii prevailed, 55-49.

Just like that, the season was over. 

“We were hurt by the bug, but I didn’t want to make an excuse,” Silva said. “It happened. I told the other girls, you’ve got to step up, but the two main ones is our center and our No. 1 guard. What we had to do, our No. 2 guard (Kayla Thornton), had to use her as my point guard instead of my shooting guard. She can pass the ball and everything, but it limited our scoring. When I put in my reserve guard because I needed more scoring, we had turnovers. The game was back and forth. Either team could’ve won.” 

Luna, arguably one of the top freshmen point guards in the state, was so ill, she didn’t go to school during the playoffs. 

Coach Silva chatted about his starters and rotation contributors.

This season was ________. 
Silva: “A very successful season. For this year, versus the previous year. We were 7-5 and this year, 9-3. We had a lot of young players last year. A lot of freshmen and three seniors. This year, we have only one senior and we had 13 on the team. Out of the 12 returnees (next season), we’re going to have three seniors and nine underclassmen. And the JV program was one of our better programs in the past five, six years. Most of them played club basketball in the offseason and that really helped us, and that will really help us for the next three, four years. We finally beat Lahainaluna after all these years.” 

This season was the movie ________. 
Silva: “Hoosiers. I like that movie. I like Rudy. I talked to the girls about both movies all the time, really. For inspiration. The guy never quit. All 13 of our players made 3.0 for the first semester, first time ever. Education-wise, we did good. First time since I started in 2002. They were smart. They knew the plays, and they would help each other out. I’ve always been preaching education first. Basketball is a luxury.” 

Review: Starters and key rotation/role players: 
PG Jordyn Luna, 5-3, Fr.
Silva: “She has awesome vision on the court. Handle the ball left, right hand. She’s a shooter, too, but I needed her as a point guard. Because of her skill level, her dribbling, her passing, awesome. She’s one of my better free-throw shooters, too. I love when they foul her. She plays for Maui Sparks club team. Her confidence level, she needs to build on that. She’s going to get this by playing more games. Being a freshman starting on varsity, sometimes kind of nervous. I would tell her take it all the way and she would kick it out.” 

SG Kayla Thornton, 5-8, So. 
Silva: “She’s a driver and that’s what I like. She’s not afraid of getting hit. She’ll go to the basket, good handles. Throughout the season, she might have been our highest point-getter. She can do better on defense, but she’s a very good offensive player and she makes a lot of free throws, as well. If you don’t come out and get her, then she’ll shoot the 3. She belongs to a club, too, and they would go to Colorado last year. They’ve gone to Chicago and Las Vegas and LA. She made first team all-star. She also played for (Maui) Sparks. Actually, I want her to get stronger in the weight room. Then she’ll be more physical. She takes a lot of beatings going to the basket. She’s tall. She’s thin. I need her to be more physical.” 

SF Makena Stevenson, 5-7, So. 
Silva: “Oh, very coachable. Great attitude. Good personality. You give her constructive criticism, she’ll take it. ‘OK coach, I’ll do better.’ She’s a cross country runner, so she came to basketball season in shape. But no track season. She was running under one minute in the 400-meter run. She pushed herself. I think she would’ve won the MIL. She’s my best perimeter shooter. Whenever I need three points, I tell her take the shot. And she’s one of my better rebounders. She plays for Maui Sparks. Makena, overall she’s a pretty good player. To be honest, I’d like her to improve on her defense. Sometimes, they’re good, but they’re lazy (on defense). If you score 12 points and the person you’re guarding scores 12 points, why not hold her to five points?” 

PF Leiana Thornton, 5-8, So.
Silva: “She’s Kayla’s twin sister. She’s more inside. She’s got the moves in there. Talking free throws, I think she’s got the highest percentage this year. She can get rebounds and she’s a pretty good defender, too. She needs to shoot more when she’s open. She tends to pass out. The closer you are, the higher the percentage. I told her, you’re not being selfish when you're open and we get the ball to you. But they’re young, so I don’t know. I think she was 3.7 (grade-point average).” 

C Kylena Rieta, 5-6, Sr.
Silva: “She’s physical. She’s not afraid of getting hit and everything else that goes with that. She played varsity four years for me. She’s smart, too. I would say 3.75 (GPA) and she also plays softball. They had a good team this year, but this coronavirus is serious. Nobody’s playing softball. I’ve been coaching so long, I coached her dad in basketball and football at Maui High. She gets lazy sometimes, even the dad says. ‘Coach, push my daughter more.’ I’d tell her, you’re my captain, you’re my leader, all these younger players are looking up to you.’ She got the message and started to push herself more, and you could see the younger players follow her lead. She played club basketball and club softball.” 

Hi‘ilani Arai, 5-3, Jr.
Silva: “She’s scrappy. She can jump and she’s very physical. She’s always getting hit. She reminds me of Henry Acob. When I coached boys basketball, Henry, he was 5-foot-3 and he could touch the rim. We played Punahou and we guarded Kevin Wong at the state tournament in 1991. Hi‘ilani overall does well. I think she should’ve shot more this year. She’s my best defensive player. The point guard from King Kekaulike, I would put her on her. Hi‘ilani will drive to the basket. She’s not afraid of doing that. When I look at my roster, I said you’re my sixth man. If I need to rest my point guard, then I’d move Hi‘ilani to point guard.” 

Ronie Butihi, 5-7, Jr. 
Silva: “She’s one of our players you want to shoot more. She’s a good shooter, but the confidence level, we need to give her more confidence. If we had more preseason games, that would help. ”  

Kiana Manuel, 5-8, Fr.
Silva: “She was my substitute center. She would come in for Ky Rieta. She got pretty good post moves. She shoots well, but young yet. She’ll do better next year, I’m sure. Very coachable. Very disciplined. Comes to practice on time and everything else you want from a player. She doesn’t complain. She just says, ‘Yes, coach.’ With more playing experience, she’ll gain more confidence. I believe she’ll be one of the all-stars for Maui. She was playing JV, and after the JV season, I brought her up to get more game experience. She plays club basketball and she said she’s going to do that again.”

Atasha Timbresa, 5-6, So.
Silva: “She’s lanky, but toward the end of the season, I would talk to her so much about taking it to the hoop when you see an opening, and she was doing that. I saw that and I said, I should put her in more. I used her as my point guard after Jordyn got sick. She surprised us and we started to use her more, and we could see more confidence during the last three games of the season. She won some games for us. She scored well. You could see the confidence, you could see her smiling more.” 

Jacy Dela Cruz, 5-3, Fr.
Silva: “She and Jordyn play club together, 1-2 punch. She’s a shooter. They play well together. When they came to play high school ball, there’s more with school work and other things. She’s a very intelligent player. She just needs more playing time, more confidence level. When she was playing JV level, she was my high scorer. She surprised me toward the ending part and I was using her more often.” 

Did the rotation change?
Silva: “Pretty much stayed the same. Instead of having just two key rotation players, I would put one more in. We were using 10 total toward the end. I was kind of happy because when we had the flu bug, the other players helped us.”

What or who surprised you most? 
Silva: “Atasha Timbresa surprised me the most. She was always, you could see her confidence level not there. She was disappointed in the first part of the season, she shot good, but the other girls passed her. I told her, come on, you can do it. She kind of saw what was happening, and towards the ending part of the season, you could see she got the message and she did much, much better.” 

What were the most adverse challenges? 
Silva: “The adversity came when we lost to King K in the tournament. I didn’t want to use sickness as an excuse. I knew what was what. I see the doctor paper, and if they don’t go to school, but I stress education. 2.0 is OK, and 3.0 is our team goal. But the loss to King K was the most challenge we had. Walking away from a promising season, but I didn’t want to say (the flu) was our excuse. Pahukoa would hit a 3, we would make a 2. We were always chasing.” 

What was the peak? What was the low? 
Silva: “Not making it to states. We wanted to win the MIL. Goals, first make 3.0 for first semester. We did that. We wanted to beat Lahaina. We did that. We didn’t win MIL, but we have a chance to go to states, and all this happened, and that was a real low. You could see it in the faces of the girls. They were disappointed. Losing close games is the hardest. I think they knew, too. If we had our players (healthy), I think we would have won, but to other teams, we lost.” 

What will you miss about this group? 
Silva: “Well, first of all, looking at what we have with 12 returnees, with the JV coming up, some of these girls might not make it if I was still on. At least four JV girls can compete with the varsity. They have the speed, the size, they can jump and defend, and they’re very, very coachable. I won’t be able to make that decision. I’m going to miss the camaraderie we had together. We were a very close team. Instead of the coaches talking all the time, the teammates would come together and support her. I said, always be positive. Don’t say I can’t do it. I’m going to miss their smiles. I’d tell them let’s go on the line and run sprints, and they’re not smiling anymore.” 

Silva had a shout-out for his co-head coach and assistant coaches. 

“My daughter, Crystal (Bal) played and coached. For this year, she is the co-head coach. I wanted her to take control, to learn more. I wanted her to have the opportunity to learn. Kaci Licos. She was my JV head coach and when JV season was over, she helped us out as my assistant coach. Ashley Gonzales. She’s an assistant coach. That’s my staff and they’re a very good staff. They’re a female staff and they handle all the female stuff. I’m going to miss all of them, of course, along with my players,” he said. 

Support from his team’s parents was also a plus. 

“The thing our parents did this year that was important, I told them I cannot guarantee that everybody will play a lot. It’s unfair if I don’t tell you folks. If you don’t want your daughter to play, then it’s up to you to decide if she will continue or what. I looked around and none of them said anything, so fine,” Silva said. 

His routine since retiring from the insurance business was simple and busy. Work the morning shift at Tasty Crust, 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. Head home, then over to the school gym for practice. He will miss coaching, but cooking is his other passion.

“At Tasty Crust, I like the black bean ahi. That is one of the better ones, and not all of the cooks can cook that. I like that because the Filipino cook there taught me how. It’s grilled first, then you put it in the wok with the black bean sauce and vegetables, and fry it,” he said. “The sauce makes a big difference. Garlic? Yeah.” 

Silva grew up in Haliimaile, near Makawao, and attended St. Joseph School, which is now closed. He even delivered the Honolulu Advertiser to residents during his seventh- and eighth-grade years. That was around 1960. 

Now, Silva will find something else to do with his afternoons and evenings. He is not a golfer.  

“On May 4, I had my evaluation and they decided. Am I upset? No, I’m not upset. I’m the type of coach, if the administration wants a change, I understand. I worked in insurance, if there’s a change, you accept the change or you don’t work there. I’m kind of sad, but then you know, in basketball and all the sports I’ve coached, if you don’t accept the change, you shouldn’t be there,” he said. “Administration is the boss. I had a good run in coaching. I had so many great memories of all the players I coached, all the parents that I met, and my sponsors. I got great sponsors. They’re always helping me. Some people have to make money, but we have sponsors, and they see you and help you out.”

He is still hoping for a chance to present awards to the Sabers. 

“The only thing I didn’t do to have closure because of the coronavirus was the team banquet. We were going to have the trophies and the dinner for the players with the parents like we have all these years, but we couldn’t use the facilities, and can’t do this or that. Hopefully, if we can’t have the banquet, at least give the awards that are already paid for.”

There will be new experiences for Silva and his wife, Brenda, who was always by his side for his teams. 

“Thank God, I’m healthy. I can do what I do and I love what I do,” he said. “My wife supports me a lot. She’s helped me all these years."

Comments