Maryland makes it 18 offers to Campbell WR/S Titus Mokiao-Atimalala

Brothers Titus and Tamatoa Mokiao-Atimalala

A Hawaii-to-Maryland pipeline would have seemed far-fetched before this year. 

Not so now. Maryland offered Campbell junior Titus Mokiao-Atimalala a scholarship on Sunday. 

“I feel good about them. Just starting to build a relationship with them. I’m still open and taking my time,” he said. 

The Star-Advertiser All-State receiver now has 18 offers in all. 

Updated offer list
Arizona, Arizona State, Cal, Hawaii, Maryland, Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oregon, Oregon State, Tennessee, UCF, UCLA, UNLV, USC, Utah, Washington State and Wisconsin. 

Maryland became a destination for former Kapolei quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa two weeks ago when he transferred from Alabama. Then, former Farrington running back Challen Fa‘amatau transferred to Maryland from Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College. 

Tagovailoa and Mokiao-Atimalala are cousins.  

“We talked recently. It’s been awhile since we played together. My seventh grade year, his 8th grade, he was the quarterback at Ewa Beach Sabers. He was my quarterback so it’s nothing new,” Mokiao-Atimalala said. “I’m not afraid to leave home. Having my cousin them there will help out. My family would be more comfortable.”

Sunday’s teleconference meeting was the setting. 

“I’ve been in touch with the coaches, texting them. Sunday, we set up a  Zoom call with their head coach (Michael Locksley), the offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach. They were talking to my family, offered me a scholarship. They’re excited to recruit me. They wanted to put a face to the name. That’s about it,” he said. “Off what the coaches were telling me they’re trying to build with guys like myself and bring it back up. They’re going to be slinging a lot. Most of the coaches were at Alabama and they all did it.”

Alabama won the national title in 2018 with Locksley on staff. He became Alabama’s OC in ’19, and now Tagovailoa has a chance to spread his wings at Maryland. 

“Taulia said it’s going to be something big and we could build up the team like we did back home. It’s not something we’re new to. We’ve been working hard,” Mokiao-Atimalala said. 

As a junior, he had 62 receptions for 1,136 yards and 18 receiving touchdowns. In 2018, as a sophomore, Mokiao-Atimalala hauled in 75 passes for 1,385 yards and 14 TDs. He also had big plays as a safety. 

Alabama, Boise State and Oklahoma had been in contact during the spring, but Washington has been kept in closer communication recently, he said. All of the 18 football programs that have made offers are in the picture. 

“Yeah, I have calls and texts every day, so yeah. It’s the process. I’m not even looking into committing early. I told all the coaches I’m going to take my time,” he said. 

He and brother, Tamatoa, who will play at Hawaii this fall, have worked out regularly at Phase One. Titus also has workouts with teammates Blaine Hipa and Peter Manuma. Wynden Ho‘ohuli and Malosi Sam of Mililani also work out with them. 

“Because the parks are finally open me and some of the guys get together. Right now, I’ll just focus. I believe this is our last week of school. All online classes. I’m pretty much done with my regular work. It’s about the same, but I like online better. I can do the work when I’m at home. There’s pros and cons to it,” Mokiao-Atimalala said. 

Lockdown staples
Top 3 shows/movies
1. Money Heist (Netflix)
2. Blacklist (Netflix)
3. The Getdown (Netflix)

Top 3 foods/drinks
1. Pretzel M&Ms
2. French toast. “I make the best french toast. Depends on how I’ll feel, I mix it up. Sometimes for my whole family, whoever is up. The key? I can’t give out my secrets.” 
3. Chips Ahoy cookies. “You have to have milk.” 

New skill
Mokiao-Atimalala: “I’ve been getting my painting skills on. Just for fun, just to relax. It’s not for class. A brush and paint. I paint people and objects. I kind of take my time, maybe two or three days. My next piece is going to the sunset at the beach.” 


Comments