Punahou DB Matagi Thompson's 1st offer: Hawaii


Matagi Thompson always wins in the ocean.

For fun and sustenance, he, dad (Afatia) and brother (Afatia Jr.) make their way to the sea and bring home dinner. Spear fishing is one of Thompson’s favorite activities, and if he takes up Hawaii’s football scholarship offer, he won’t have to give it up.

“I had contact with Coach (Jacob) Yoro in early January. He said, ‘We like the way you play. We like that you’re able to cover man, and your physicality,” Thompson said on Thursday.

Hawaii became the first program to offer a scholarship to Thompson, a 6-foot-2, 180-pound defensive back.

“I’m so thankful that God has given me this opportunity, for the coaches seeing my potential, my family and friends helping me every step of the way,” he said.

Thompson (Eli Matagi Thompson on Twitter) communicated with UH assistants Victor Santa Cruz (defensive coordinator) and Maui Moeakiola. He has also remained in contact with Army, Navy and Utah State.

His father, Afatia, played running back at Hawaii.

“I believe Army and Navy will offer sometime in the future. I’m not worried about it I’ll let God’s timing happen,” said Thompson, who has a 3.5 grade-point average. “My parents (Afatia and Nicole) feel blessed, honored and thankful, especially since it’s my hometown It’ll be a privilege to play in front of my family and friends.”

Thompson was a receiver since arriving at Punahou in middle school, then switched to defense last year. His position coach is Agenhart Ellis.

Prior to Punahou, he was a two-way player.

“I played for Kapahulu Raiders. We used to live in Kapahulu,” he said.

The daily toil during the COVID-19 lockdown includes workouts with family.

“Monday, Wednesday, Friday, I do footwork drills at Kapaolono Park with my uncle, Manoa Latu, and Kamo’i, my cousin. My uncle said, ‘Yeah, you’ll have a better shot in college playing defense,” Thompson said. “We don’t do too many one-on-ones. Just perfecting the basics.”

Thompson’s humility is always in play, but his favorite athlete has prime-time confidence.

“Deion Sanders. I like the swagger he plays with the mentality he has,” he said.

Punahou was 10-2 last season, a hard-luck runner-up in the ILH to nationally-ranked Saint Louis. The Buffanblu had one of the top defenses in the state, but lost some key playmakers to graduation. Thompson is encouraged about his returning teammates.

“We have Jonah (Henry) at safety, Teva (Tafiti) at D-end, DJ (Utu) at linebacker, Kili (Mendiola-Jensen) at corner, and Siupele (Uluave) and Andrew (Kananikoa) at D-tackle,” Thompson said. “As a defense, we’re looking to prove everybody wrong and become the best in the state.’

Lockdown staples
Top 3 shows
1. Black Panther
2. Avengers
3. Avatar (Netflix)

Top 3 food/snacks/drinks
1. Breakfast: “Vienna sausage, scrambled eggs (five/six), rice. I can eat, but I don’t gain weight. I’ll eat this all day.”
2. Flaming hot Cheetos
3. Hawaiian Sun green tea

Top 3 music
1. Willie K
2. Lil Baby

New skills/old skills
“If anything, just doing a lot of spear fishing. It’s good to catch my own meals and bring it home. I have a secret spot. I always go with my dad (Afatia) and my brother (Afatia Jr.). He’s seventh grade,” Thompson said. “If there’s one dish that’s my favorite, it’s kole or weke. I use the 3-prong. My dad has a gun. My brother uses the sling too.”

Dad does the cooking.

“Both of them we deep fry. My dad usually does it. We just take whatever we need for that night,” he said. “The weirdest thing I ever caught is prob this black looking palani. I never seen it before. It was good, just had a fishy taste.”

That’s just one reason why stay-at-home has multiple meanings for Thompson.

“It definitely would feel so much more comfortable doing all the things I love: seeing family, going to the beach, spear fishing,” he said.
He also plans to major in kinesiology or physical therapy, both offered by UH. Thompson’s middle name, Matagi, translates to win in Samoan. He is in a win-win situation.


Comments