Saint Louis scholar-athlete Isaac Silva commits to Columbia

Big dreams. Big rewards. 

Saint Louis senior Isaac Silva has long yearned for a chance to attend school in the Ivy League. On Monday, his wish came true when he committed to Columbia. The financial package provided by the school means he will play football there this fall, should the NCAA allow sports to be played. 

“I just submitted a form on the Columbia portal,” Silva said on Monday afternoon. “I feel great. I’m happy about the decision I made. I’m glad the process is over and I’m glad I’m going.” 

Silva’s dream beyond football is to become and investment banker. Columbia, located close to Wall Street, ranks first in opportunities to work in the financial district. 

“That was part of it. I kind of looked to what I want to do after college. I want to go into investment banking and they’re ranked No. 1. Columbia football posted about it. They’re the best university to get a job in investment banking. That was a big part of it,” he said. “They gave me a great amount of financial aid. The Ivy League is mostly need based, so it depends on my family’s income. They gave me a chunk which really helps. They made it so I can attend university.”

According to the Financial Times, Columbia's business school ranks No. 8 in the US. Alumi of the business school have an average salary of more than $203,000. 

It wasn’t an easy choice. Silva, who has a 4.3 grade-point average, declined a preferred-walk on (PWO) offer from Syracuse. He also had a chance to play at Division III Lewis & Clark (Ore.)

“I was really thankful for Syracuse. it was tough choosing between Syracuse and Columbia for the longest time. I’m truly grateful for the opportunity (assistant) Coach Blair (Cavanaugh) gave me. It probably was one of the hardest decisions I ever had to make. The chance to play in the ACC, even as a walk on, but it was hard to pass on the Ivy League,” he said. “I talked to (the Lewis & Clark) head coach. He’s such a cool guy. He understood and it was a good conversation.”

Silva had 57 receptions for 602 yards and a touchdown as a senior. Saint Louis won its fourth consecutive Open Division state championship. He also played point guard for the basketball team. He plans to stick with football at Columbia. 

“My parents (Kalani and Jodi) are happy. They said they’re proud of me. An Ivy League education opportunity doesn’t come around that often,” he said. 

The 5-foot-10, 161-pound slotback has been working out with fellow pass catcher Matt Sykes (UCLA) and sophomore quarterback AJ Bianco.

“I’m just looking to compete for a spot. Work hard and try to earn a starting position. Honestly, I didn’t really talk football with them. I’m going to hop on a Zoom call with the receiver group tomorrow. Hopefully, I’ll learn about the offense,” Silva said. “I’ve been watching highlights and they run a mixture of offenses. Trips, Doubles with slots and receivers, sometimes tight ends, sometimes running formations.” 

Life in the Big Apple, whenever the city opens after being hit hard by the COVID-19 virus, may not return to normal for a long time. Silva is hoping for the best. 

“I really want to be in New York City, live there. There are a lot of connections from Columbia. They say instead of a four-year decision, it’s a 40-year decision,” he said. “I’m going to have to change my wardrobe up. I got a lot of tank tops and shorts. I’m going to have to get an overcoat.”

During the lockdown, Silva hasn’t been able to see his mother, Jodi. She remained in Hilo to work while the rest of the family moved to Honolulu. 

“My mom (Jodi) is stuck on the Big Island. She’s considered an essential worker for her company. She lives there, and she can’t really afford to go into quarantine,” he said. “Now it’s hard. I haven’t seen her for two or three months. I miss her.” 

Lockdown staples
Top 3 movies/TV shows
1. The Last Dance. “His mentality and his chase for perfection, he had high expectations for himself and he carried it over to his teammates. Seeing that was an eye-opener and it proved why he’s the greatest of all time.” 

Top 3 foods/drinks
1. Water
2. Gatorade (Cool Blue)
3. Protein shake (GNC chocolate)



Comments