Syracuse joins UH in chase for Saint Louis OL La‘akea Kapoi

Photo courtesy of Grant Shishido (@MrFaster)

La‘akea Kapoi has heard about Syracuse offensive line coach Mike Cavanaugh. 

As of Thursday, he might be a giant step closer to the former Hawaii assistant coach. The Orange offered a scholarship to Kapoi, a Saint Louis junior, adding another layer to an impressive run in the islands. 

“Coach Mike, he’s kinda really straightforward. He’s similar to Coach (Brian) Derby. He wants everything on point and he demands perfection,” Kapoi said on Thursday night. 

Syracuse Head Coach Dino Babers is a former UH linebacker. Quality Control Special Teams coach Brian Cavanaugh is Mike Cavanaugh’s son. ‘Cuse also has offers out to Kapoi’s teammate in the trenches, Kalan Ellis, and Kamehameha lineman Austyn Kauhi. There was also a preferred walk-on (PWO) offer to Saint Louis slotback Isaac Silva, who eventually signed with Columbia. 

Kapoi, who carries a 3.5 grade-point average, received his first offer came from Hawaii in mid-April. Now, he has an option to play in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

“That’s an accomplishment, a big accomplishment. That shows they see potential in me and how hard I work, how I played last season,” Kapoi said. “There’s a lot of talent here in the 808. We have a lot of potential, and we’re overlooked, a lot.”

Of course, where there’s smoke, rival recruiters often rush to the scene. Whether that happens or not, Kapoi will keep working out in the garage with older brothers Micah, now a graduate assistant coach at Wisconsin, and Alema, who plays for Hawaii. 

“Alema says to keep on working, there’s more to come, do your thing. He wants me to be successful. He said, ‘You don’t have to go to the same college as me. Just keep working hard and the big schools will come after you,” Kapoi said. 

Wisconsin and Oregon State are in the picture. 

“I’m staying in touch with them. I’ll be shocked if they offer me, but no matter what, I’m going to keep working and pushing for more,” he said. 

The 6-foot-4, 300-pound lined up at right tackle last season. Ellis, the left tackle, now has four offers. Center Matagi Dupont, who graduates this spring, signed with Adams State (Col.). Right guard Jonah Savaiinaea has an offer from UH. 

School is over and the routine is set, with or without the COVID-19 lockdown. 

“Online (classes) were better for me. I had more time to do my assignments,” Kapoi said. “I’m running at the park (in Makakilo) below my house. I run the hills there and do my O-line stuff. But the hills help me with my cardio.”

The ease in restrictions also means he and his family got to visit Grandma (Patricia Su‘a). 

“I had my grandma’s beef stew last week. I took some home, a plate. She was surprised to see me. I hadn’t seen her about two months. Only me and brothers eat her beef stew. They know the Kapoi boys are going to eat that,” he said. 

Shout outs
Kapoi: “Shout out to my O-line coaches, James Hall and Rob Crowell. And Coach Derby. I texted coach Derby today. He said, ‘Congratulations,’ but I don’t know if we’re going to have too much of the camp this year.”

Comments