Early morning Trench Dawgz: Ope Laloulu's last day at the beach


The pupil is now a teacher.

Faaope Laloulu is still a young football player, but when he trains with his Trench Dawgz, the Oregon-bound offensive lineman is an elder member. Sunday morning, 6:30 a.m., he was there holding a pad along with coaches Whitley Fehoko and Kip Akana on the sand at Ala Moana Beach Park. When he arrives in Eugene, Ore., on Wednesday night, there won’t be any sand under his feet. 

“This time is different. I’m there to stay. We’re going to land in Portland and drive from there,” the 6-foot-8, 340-pound left tackle said. “It’s a dream come true. Leaving family and stuff, but I’m ready for it.” 

Laloulu was a Star-Advertiser All-State selection last fall for Farrington. That came after his previous school, St. Francis, closed doors. At Oregon, he will bask in the glow of shiny technology and state-of-the-art facilities. It will be an upscale move from the backyard bench press at KPT, but the work ethic will remain the same. There has been steady development for Laloulu, both physical and mental. 

“The understanding of the position itself, learning how to play it different ways instead of always being aggressive. Watching film in general. I was always the aggressor. I learned how to play being relaxed and the aggressor at the same time,” he said. 

The remaining Dawgz, some as young as freshmen, are composed, physical and coachable, as well. They understand what their coaches are doing: making sacrifices. 

“The love they got for us,” Roosevelt sophomore defensive end Kaeo Akana said. 

“They want to change the kids, especially the kids in the housing. Teach them something different from what they had,” said Iapani “Poncho” Laloulu, a Farrington sophomore offensive lineman and Faaope’s younger brother. “I used to stay home and play video games, but ever since Coach Whit came and picked me and my brother up to get that work it, he changed my life. From there, I’ve been here every day.” 

Fehoko, the former Farrington All-State offensive lineman, has provided an offseason training ground for years. Last summer, he saw Siotame Haunga transform into a FCS lineman when Dixie State returned an email just two days before letter-of-intent signing day. Haunga had a solid freshman season — all-conference — and Dixie State joins the Western Athletic Conference this fall, if there is a season. 

“As far back as I can remember, hard work is hard work. As long as I can keep that mentality and mindset in this generation, I know they’ll continue. These kids just need somebody to believe in them,” Fehoko said. “I see talent all over the place. That’s what motivates me to be out here. You see Polynesians in Hawaii that should be playing on Sundays. It’s always that missed opportunity. I knew that I had to teach and instill my knowledge, my mentality into them. That’s what it’s all about.” 

The Trench Dawgz got a big boost when former St. Francis head coach Kip Akana opened his door. For the past several weeks, they have enjoyed the homemade gym at Akana’s home. His youngest son, Kaeo Akana, also trains with the Dawgz. On Sunday morning, there were five offensive linemen and four defensive linemen. After an hour or so of fundamental drills, the groups meshed for 1-on-1 work to close out the last 20 minutes. 

Kaeo Akana, who was superb as a sophomore at Roosevelt, has scholarship offers from Hawaii, Utah and Washington State. He has tremendous acceleration on the edge, but his bull rush is startling, much more powerful than his frame might indicate. That’s the result of all those reps in his uncle’s garage. 

“It’s not surprising to me,” Poncho Laloulu said. “Me and him, we lift around the same weight at the house.” 

Poncho Laloulu is 6-2 plus, 320 pounds. Akana is 6-3, 205 pounds with long arms. He enjoys using a Von Miller move. 

“The fake stab,” Akana said. 

“He puts his hands out, and by the time the O-lineman tries to reach and punch him, he dips his shoulder to get around him,” Poncho explained. “While the O-lineman is kicking, he’s going to show his hand, and by the time he punches, he goes by him.” 

Akana had a question for Poncho, who received a scholarship offer from Hawaii before his freshman year. 

“You know my move?”

When Poncho and Kaeo go to battle on the sand, it’s an early-morning, eye-opening competition. With each snap, there’s little time to fret for the loser, no time to celebrate for the winner. 

“Coach will say, sometimes you win and sometimes you learn. We’re just learning to get better. Iron sharpens iron,” Poncho said. “I’ve gotten better with my hands, keeping my hands together. Those pipes help us keep our elbows and our hands together. If you reach, you only have one hand to punch.” 

Akana has worked on his hands and feet. 

“Violent-ness. Attacking the O-linemen before he gets me,” he said. “Always working the hands. Don’t let the guy touch me. A lot of deception.” 

Akana’s teammate, Jackie Johnson III, uses his burst and increasingly effective hand-to-hand skills in the trenches. He lined up at defensive tackle last season, but has the versatility to play outside or at linebacker. When the baseball season was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Johnson got a head start in the weight room for football. 

“It’s fun going against the big boys. I enjoy the competition,” he said. 

Johnson also plays baseball, a starting catcher. Football, though, is also a passion. His favorite athlete is Aaron Donald. 

“I can’t be him, but I can strive to be like him. I watch him attempt his moves and do things I’ve never seen. I like his hesi step inside. He gets the O-lineman going the wrong way,” said Johnson, who will be a senior. “I like how he does the forklift, picking up the O-lineman’s hand and works off it. You’ve got to set it up quicker. I like his swim, how he keeps it very compact. He doesn’t fly over it.” 

The young pups in training have embraced Fehoko’s demands and standards. Poncho Lalolulu even gave up video games to focus more on training. He will pick up the controller of his XBOX only when cousins visit the house. 

“If we miss Monday, we’ll have a Wednesday workout to make up for Monday,” Poncho said. “I stopped playing video games a long time ago. 

For the older Laloulu, a going-away party on Saturday at home hit the spot. Music. Traditional dancing. Family and friends. The only aspect he didn’t partake in was the food. 

“I didn’t eat anything, but I’m pretty sure everybody else did,” he said. “It was good to spend time with family and see everybody before I leave. Coach Kip them came by.”

Weight lifting four days per week. Field training with Coach Fehoko on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. The only day off is Wednesday. 

“I’m just trying to take advantage, get every opportunity I can get. Coach Whit said if we wanted to work out, it’s an automatic yes,” Laloulu said. “I’m bringing warm clothes, warm clothes and even warm clothes. I’m not too sure how cold it gets, but for me, it gets really cold.” 

After Faaope Laloulu flies to the West Coast, the Trench Dawgz will keep grinding. Poncho will miss big brother. 

“Of course, big bro’s not going to be around anymore. I’m going to miss wrestling in the house,” he said. 

Faaope Laloulu will stay in touch. He has his Twitter account. His texts. But business will be business. 

“Shout out to friends and family all across the world. Thank you for being on this journey with me,” he said. “Stay blessed. Stay safe.” 



















Poncho Laloulu, Farrington, OL, So.
Ka’eo Akana, Roosevelt, DE, Jr.


Faaope Laloulu, Farrington, OL
2020 signee, Oregon

Jackie Johnson III, Roosevelt, DL/LB, Sr.


Whitley Fehoko, Trench Dawgz




Comments