Familiar face connects UNLV to Saint Louis OL La‘akea Kapoi

La‘akea Kapoi in action during the 2019 season. (Photo by Grant Shishido, @MrFaster)

From the East Coast to the West Coast, La‘akea Kapoi is becoming a wanted man. 

UNLV offered a football scholarship to the 6-foot-4, 300-pound Saint Louis offensive lineman on Wednesday. Along with Hawaii and Syracuse, Kapoi now has three offers as his junior year ends. 

It was a familiar theme for the Kapoi family. UNLV assistant coach Chad Kauhaahaa was at Wisconsin when the Badgers recruited his oldest brother, Micah, who is now a graduate assistant in Madison. 

“Yesterday, he texted me,” Kapoi said of Kauhaahaa, the former Baldwin head coach. “He said, ‘Our offensive line coach is already looking at you. He talked about (offensive line) coach (Glenn) Norcross being interested.” 

The Rebels progressed quickly.

“Literally, two minutes later, I called (Norcross). He talked about my film, that he really likes it. ‘We want you to play at UNLV for the next four years,’ “ Kapoi said. 

On Wednesday, UNLV also offered a scholarship to Kapoi’s teammate in the trenches, offensive lineman Jonah Savaiinaea. 

“I think they’re trying to get more of the 808 guys up at the mainland schools. We’re not looked at as much in my eyes,” Kapoi said. 

Oregon State, he added, has been in consistent communication. Kapoi was awake at 6 a.m. on Thursday morning, putting himself to use at home until a noon workout. 

“I always get up early. Today, I was up at 6 a.m. No alarm. I sleep around 9 p.m. I’ve always been an early sleeper. If family comes over, then yeah,”  said Kapoi, who last stayed up until midnight two weeks ago.

He doesn’t plan to become a night owl. 

“It’s a plus. I feel like getting a good rest is good. I help out my mom (Patti) around the house do what needs to get done. Spend time with her. Gotta love your mom,” he said.  

UNLV took advantage of the current construction of Allegiant Stadium. New photos show the school’s logo at midfield, and the progress is all over social media. Kailua quarterback Cameron Friel, who committed to the Rebels last month, gave the new stadium photo a like. 

“Coach Norcross sent me the picture. They definitely have something going on. They’re going to have a pretty good team this year. I hope to watch those games and see some big things happen on offense,” Kapoi said. 

New stadiums are nice, but how much do they factor into a recruit’s equation.

“I’d say 10 percent,” Kapoi said. 

He works out for three hours every day, and often relaxes by watching his favorite programs. A new one on his list is Chicago PD.

“I watch that every other day,” said Kapoi, whose grandfather was Frank Su‘a. 

He had been retired from a 40-year career in law enforcement — commander of the Narcotics/Vice Division — before his death in 1997. Sua spent years speaking to community groups about drug prevention. He also coached youth football and softball.

“He passed away not long after I was born. He was a policeman for a very long time,” Kapoi said. 



Comments