Kahuku All-State C Oscar Cheng joins HPU

Oscar Cheng during a workout last summer

Oscar Cheng’ dream is coming true. 

The recent graduate of Kahuku High School has accepted a scholarship offer to play basketball at Hawaii Pacific. Cheng, listed at 6 feet, 9 inches, was voted No. 7 in the Star-Advertiser Boys Basketball All-State Fab 15 last season. The Red Raiders reached the semifinal round of the Division I state tournament with Cheng powering his way to double-doubles through the postseason. He averaged 15 points per game. 

His other option was a walk-on spot with Hawaii. 

“I feel good. I feel relieved. I feel excited to get in and start working with the guys. It’s been a long time, I had an idea of where it would go,” Cheng said during lunch hour on Tuesday. “At UH, it would’ve been invited walk-on. Just the relationship I’ve built with the HPU coaches, they’ve talked to me longer. It’s also a better opportunity. Full scholarship, and that’s enough right there. When it comes to going in, I’ll compete for playing time. At UH, walk-ons have earned playing time, but it’s really hard to play in the first two years.”

Cheng is known as diligent worker year round. Since moving from the Bay Area almost a year ago, he has learned about the PacWest Conference and its rivalries. Now, he gets an opportunity at the Division II level. 

“Just having the opportunity to develop. A lot of people feel I’m a late bloomer, and getting the court time and playing makes a big difference. With Chaminade, UH-Hilo, you get to play all those interisland games,” he said. 

Cheng’s hustle on the court, running hard in transition, was difficult to stop at the prep level. 

“I think the biggest thing is, at the next level, I have to work on being more versatile, stretch the floor a little bit. Bring the rebounding and all those things. Wherever you can help the team most. If I can score and be interchangeable at multiple positions, that’s a goal,” he said. 

He also plans on staying near the HPU campus in downtown Honolulu. The Sharks practice at the former St. Francis High School facility.

“I want to be close to the gym, maybe come back on weekends, but I’m intending to stay close to campus. They’ve been leasing St. Francis’ gym. They put in a weight room,” he said. 

“Before COVID, I would be able to play in the BYU (Hawaii) gym. I go over to the court at Swanzy’s (in Kaaawa) in the morning around 8 or 9, and I’ll go back at night. In between, I lift at home, run some hills, mix it up. Sometimes, I run on the beach. I get a lot of stuff from trainers I watch on YouTube,” he added. “My 3 is definitely improving. The biggest thing is that 10-foot jumper. I have the post moves.” 

Lockdown staples
Top show/movie
1. The Last Dance. “That’s a clear No. 1.” 

Top 3 food/drinks
1. Smoothies. “Strawberries, banana, pineapple. I love Jamba, but I haven’t gone in awhile.”
2. Poke. “I never really had it until I moved here. My dad would bring it back (from Hawaii). I usually go to Foodland. The (Kahuku) Superette one is pretty good.” 
3. Potato chips. “I’ve been mostly on a healthy diet, but potato chips, I love Pringles, or the Lays BBQ or sour cream and onion.” 

SHOUT OUT
Cheng: “Definitely to my family, my parents for supporting me and helping me grow as a player and a person, helping me along the way. All my coaches, AAU through high school. This year, Coach Akana really pushing me to get better for the next level, and just being able to have fun. He was hard on me, but we also had fun.”

Comments