Notre Dame, Colorado make it a dozen offers for Tevarua Tafiti


From left: Hina, Fenton Lee (grandfather), Taehi, Tautua, Tevarua and Winona Lee (grandmother).
Photo courtesy of Tevarua Tafiti.

It has been a golden week for Punahou outside linebacker/defensive end Tevarua Tafiti.

Last week, Colorado came up with an offer for the junior-to-be. On Thursday, Notre Dame made an offer to the 6-foot-3, 208-pound playmaker. 

The Fighting Irish certainly have an aura. Former Punahou players Manti Te‘o, Robby Toma and Jason Ching played there. Marist Liufau, a 2019 graduate, is there now. 

“My parents are super happy for me, especially with the academics and how many Punahou kids went there,” said Tafiti, who has a 3.4 grade-point average. 

In fact, Liufau tweeted Tafiti when he made the announcement online. 

“He said if I have any questions, I can ask him, so I’ve come up with some,” Tafiti said. “My biggest question is, did they you take the major you wanted?” 

He asks because he has heard about college football programs that may try to steer student-athletes into a major that is less time consuming. 

“That’s what I heard. Right now, I’m still deciding (on a major). Probably medicine. Maybe sports medicine,” Tafiti said. 

The call from the Fighting Irish won’t be forgotten. 

“Coach Brian Polland, he’s the Hawaii recruiter. He’s the one who recruited Manti and all the Hawaii boys. It felt good. He’s very familiar with Punahou and how we play football and the academics,” he said. 

Colorado made its offer on June 4. Assistant coach Junior Tanuvasa was the contact. 

“I actually talked to him a months ago when I sent out my film. There was no contact for awhile, then he called after one of my practices last Thursday. He was just telling me what he likes and some things I can improve on,” Tafiti said. “I didn’t expect that offer.”

With 12 offers, it may seem like a truckload for a young player who just finished sophomore year.  

“I really want to take visits and see where I’m comfortable at,” he said. “It used to feel weird, but not now. I’ve pretty comfortable with it since maybe after Louisville.”

Tafiti and his teammates continue to work diligently through the COVID-19 pandemic. He began summer school — online — on Monday. 

“Just to get ahead and so next school year I can have a lot of breaks. Punahou’s a college schedule,” he said. “I work out at home and I practice with Kahanu Kia a little bit. Ladders, reads and stuff. It’s just mental reps. We usually go to Kilauea Park.” 

When there’s down time, Tafiti hangs out with his big family. He’s still watching Community on Netflix. 

“And a new show called Dynasty (Netflix). It’s this rich family and there’s a crime scene. It’s a mystery show,” he said. 

(Correction: Alohi Gilman played at Kahuku.)

Offer list (alphabetical order)
Arizona State
Colorado 
Hawaii
Louisville
Michigan
Nebraska
Notre Dame
Oregon
Oregon State
Utah
Washington
Wisconsin

Announcements on Twitter (chronological order)















Comments