Now 6-2, 260, Saint Louis DL Anthony Sagapolutele overcomes heartbreak

He’s on his own in so many ways, and probably won’t have a senior year on the gridiron.

Life's obstacles haven't stopped Anthony Sagapolutele, who keeps training every day despite the probability that he will not be eligible to play football for Saint Louis this fall. 

Nearly two years ago, Sagapolutele saw his life change in a moment. His father, Peter Sr., became sick during Sagapolutele’s sophomore year. 

"He had to drop out of school to help take care of his dad," Saint Louis coach Ron Lee said. 

Peter Sagapolutele Sr. passed away. Anthony Sagapolutele transferred back from the mainland to Saint Louis and, lacking enough credits, repeated 10th grade. 

The by-laws state that a student-athlete can play four years after he or she begins high school. Sagapolutele began high school in 2016 and, under normal circumstances, would have graduated this month. That’s why, in the 2020-21 academic year, he is likely out of eligibility. He is awaiting a decision. 

I hope and pray I’ll be able to play this year. It’s a slim chance of me playing," he said. "But it's all good. It’s all part of God’s plan. Keep your faith in God. Everything will be fine."

The 6-foot-2 defensive end was a stellar performer last fall when Saint Louis four-peated as Open Division state champion. At 230 pounds, he and the defensive line were slightly smaller, but overall, quicker as a front as the Crusaders went unbeaten in league play. He is now 260 pounds, adding 30 pounds of muscle.

“I’m just trying to maintain it right now. Honestly, it was a good process. It wasn’t easy getting to (260). Wrestling helped me with gaining weight and flexibility. I’m the only big boy at Saint Louis,” said Sagapolutele, who reached the second round of the state tournament. 

He has maintained and gained speed while adding mass. 

“If he had another year, wow. But if he has to sit out, he’ll get stronger and probably even bigger,” Lee said. “I don’t know how much taller he’ll get, but he can definitely play Division I. All of our defense (from 2019), (Darrell) Masaniai, (Stanley) McKenzie, (Jordan) Botelho, (Nate) Herbig, (Kamo‘i) Latu and he’s the other guy.” 

This summer, Sagapolutele is already showing a big difference physically.  On Saturday morning, the pack is ready at 7 a.m. for hill runs at Kakaako Park.

“When everyone is sleeping at 7 o’clock, we’re out here getting in the work. I give credit to all the kids out. It’s not easy waking up that early,” said Sagapolutele, who lives with his aunt’s family and makes the trek from Waimanalo. “Just being willing to get better every second.” 

Sagapolutele often leads the way uphill, beating defensive backs and linebackers on the 10-, 20-, 30- and 40-yard jaunts on a 35-degree slope.

“It’s just the mindset to get better to dominate and be the best person I can. Not only me, but getting other kids better, all the generations after me to get better,” he said. 

He is in peak condition after spending the entire pandemic workout out with cousin Maninoa Tufono, a 2019 Punahou graduate who now plays at USC. 

“I lift every day at my cousin’s house in Halawa,” he said. “Before and after our workouts, we run a mile-and-a-half. Wednesday is more of a rest day. Growing up, consistency is what it is. The days you don’t want to work, you just keep working.” 

At 260 pounds with explosiveness, speed and intellect, Sagapolutele is more of a FBS prospect than he was last year. Sagapolutele has a 3.4 grade-point average, which drew attention from Lewis and Clark College recently. 

“He’s a great student and he’s a great kid,” Lee said. 

Sagapolutele just won’t get traditional route to the next level, it appears. Next week, he will train with an uncle on the mainland. The week after that, he will be at a FBU camp in Florida. That could change the trajectory of his career path. 

“Just the fact that my eligibility is not too clear, I’ve got to get myself there as fast as possible,” he said. 

Lockdown staples
Top 3 movies/TV shows
1. Remember the Titans. “I like watching the same movies over and over again. Over the quarantine, I’ve seen it at least 10 times. I like the scene when they sing ‘Ain’t to Proud to Beg.’ I love it. I love the positivity and how they all came together.” 
2. Naruto. “I’m an anime person.” 
3. Boys N The Hood. 

Top 3 food/drinks
1. Peanut Butter Moo’d from Jamba. “I just recently got braces, so I’ve been really snacking.” 
2. Bananas.
3. Mashed potatoes. “I make my own or I get some from KFC or even Popeye’s. Sometimes, I add green onions.” 

Shout outs
Sagapolutele: “I want to make a shout out to my brother in California, Peter. Shout out to my cousins here, Jack Tufono and Maninoa Tufono, for getting me better. Shout out to my family everywhere, my Sagapolutele and my Toki family, my Samoan side and my Tongan side. My mom (Maniate Toki) is in California. And my auntie Leini DeLima.” 

Comments