Punahou OL Alema Moeava's 1st offer: Valparaiso

Punahou offensive line coach William Moeava, Akamu Moeava and Alema Moeava.

The buff and blue are in his blood. 

Alema Moeava hasn’t forgotten his roots, though. Moeava, a 6-foot-2, 330-pound senior-to-be, received a football scholarship offer from Valparaiso on Friday, his first. 

“It’s a bunch of weight off my shoulders. This offer could open more doors for me. I don’t really know too much. I didn’t know the school existed. My friend, Kilinahe (Mendiola-Jensen), kind of introduced me to the coaches,” Moeava said on Saturday. 

He was born into the sport. His father, William, coached at McKinley, where Alema and younger brother Akamu were ball boys. 

“He was coaching since before I was born, all the way until I was in sixth grade. Me and my brother were the ball boys. I remember my older cousins playing for my dad. I just loved watching them play for my dad. That’s why I wear 58 — Jared Malaga,” Alema said. 

William Moeava is now offensive line coach at Punahou, and Akamu is also on the varsity squad. Last season, Punahou went 10-2, losing only to nationally-ranked Saint Louis. Moeava plays left guard, but also got snaps at left tackle and center. 

His teammate, Mendiola-Jensen, has 15 offers. When Valparaiso recruited him, they also heard about Moeava. Valpo, an FCS program in the Pioneer Football League, is in Indiana. The conference stretches from West Coast to East Coast. The University of San Diego won the crown last season while Valpo to a last-place finish and 3-9 overall mark. 

The Crusaders’ nickel backs coach, RJ Ghilarducci, is trying to start a pipeline from the Midwest to the islands. He also has an offer to Moeava’s teammate, Christopher Paige, and Kahuku all-state defensive tackle Zion Ah You. 

“I think he’s just really interested in Hawaii players, and we have a lot of talent, especially my class. For me, education is first. I want to go into business or become a sports medicine. Their school is one of the Top 30 in the country in business,” Moeava said. “Coach RJ talked with me last week. He told me they would look at my film with the O-line coach and let me know in a week. So he called me (on Friday).”

While many athletes have maintained conditioning levels through the COVID-19 pandemic, Moeava has thrived. He works out at Coach Maluhai Anuenue’s home in Kapolei. He recently reached a personal-best 335 pounds on the bench press. Prior to the shutdown, he maxed at 495 on the squat in Punahou’s facility. 

“I work out basically every day, depending on where Coach (Anuenue) is on the schedule, either 6 a.m. or 7:30 p.m. Me, my brother and another O-lineman, Skyden Hanisi (of Punahou). He’s going to be a sophomore,” Moeava said. “There’s not really a bunch of secrets. Just do it, get over it. Don’t think about it too much, just go hard. Me and my brother spot each other. Akamu’s lifting is getting better.”

Moeava hopes to stay at his favorite position.

“To be honest, I love playing at guard. I like to say we’re pretty even with the run and pass. Most of our runs are based on reads. Lot of RPOs and a lot of screens,” he said. 

Punahou made a huge adjustment last season when then-senior quarterback Hugh Brady suffered a season-long knee injury early on. Freshman John-Keawe Sagapolutele stepped in and didn’t miss a beat. 

“I didn’t look at him as a freshman. As long as you’re comfortable with us. Hugh had a lot of leadership and that was a good thing for us. When John became the QB, it was time for us to return the favor,” Moeava said. 

Hawaii and Navy are staying in contact. 

“To be honest, I’ll take whatever comes my way. Just hope and pray, work hard every day,” he said. 

The daily haul during the school year is routine for the brothers. 

“My mom (Kristine) works in the sheriff’s division in Kakaako. Then I ride home with my dad (after practice),” Moeava said. 

Playing for his father at the position could have been complicated, but it worked out well. He advises other players who are being coached by their fathers to embrace the process. 

“Don’t expect special treatment because he’s your dad. You’re going to get the most yelled at because you’re his son and he expects the most out of you. In the beginning, he lets everyone know, he’s going to yell the most at his sons,” Moeava said.

Moeava is bold, too, about Punahou’s upcoming season.

“We’re winning states. I believe in my team and I believe in the guys we’ve got. We can take it all the way,” he said. 

The offensive line is under construction, but the foundation is set. 

“We got me, my brother, the only starters coming back. We’ve got Skyden and Toa’s little brother Teancum (Moeai),” Moeava said. 

He thanked Mendiola-Jensen. 

“Thank you to Nahe for introducing me to the (Valparaiso) coaches, and shout out to all the boys JV to varsity. Thank you to my family for all the love and support,” he said. 

Lockdown staples
Top 3 foods/drinks
1. “My drink is milk, doesn’t matter what brand. Two-percent milk or whole milk.”
2. “I love orange chicken and chicken katsu. Chun Wah Kam, there’s one in Kapolei, or Panda Express.”
3. Apples. “Fuji apples. No protein shakes. Just eat, sleep, work out, condition. We run up our sidewalk, do sprints.”

Top 3 music artists
1. City Boys
2. Bob Marley
3. Boyz II Men

Comments