Valpo, USD with offers to Kamehameha DB Paliku Kamaka

If the Crusaders of Valparaiso have their way, some of Hawaii’s top players will land in Indiana next summer. 

Kamehameha defensive back Paliku Kamaka is the latest island athlete to receive a football scholarship offer. Kamaka also received an offer from the University of San Diego on Sunday. USD is the reigning champion of the Pioneer Football League, the same conference Valparaiso plays in. Both are FCS programs. 

“I feel pretty good. Stoked. Valparaiso offered a month ago. USD was (Saturday). The coach (RJ Ghilarducci) who offered me from Valpo used to be at USD,” Kamaka said. 

Valparaiso has been on the move with offers to island athletes. In addition to Kamaka, the Crusaders have offers to defensive tackle Zion Ah You of Kahuku, and defensive back Kilinahe Mendiola-Jensen, wide receiver Christopher Paige and offensive lineman Alema Moeava of Punahou. 

Kamaka is a sharpshooter on Kamehameha’s ILH basketball championship team. He is also a reliable defender who is aiming for a future on the gridiron on the next level. 

“I weighed 150, 155 pounds last year,” Kamaka said on Sunday. 

He is now at 175 pounds on his 5-foot-11 frame. 

“This whole year, I’ve been lifting more, eating a lot more, being conscious about that,” Kamaka said. 

The connection to Valparaiso began on social media. 

“I posted some video, then Coach RJ followed me (on Twitter). He’s a cool guy. He’s really nice. He sent a letter, too,” said Kamaka, who is not familiar with the Midwest. “I only know the Indiana Pacers. That’s the only thing I really know. It would be cool to have a bunch of Hawaii guys there, just because of our local ties.”

USD has a familiar face.

“They got in touch with me around a month ago. Ben Martin, he’s the DBs coach now. My brother (Kama) goes to USD,” Kamaka said. “USD is more a top team, they’ve always been good. Valpo is making their way up there. USD is closer. My brother’s going to be a senior. He’s an accounting major. I think he’s going to stay there. It would be nice to have him over there close by me.”

Army and Navy are also in communication with Kamaka, who has a 3.6 grade-point average. He is a workout regular, spending two days a week with the Fastletics training club. 

“Usually during the week I lift, and Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday I run and get DB work. Tuesdays and Thursdays is with Coach Tony Pang Kee at Kaneohe District Park. I lift with Laanui Correa at the docks. He has a gym in a warehouse. There’s a bunch of kids who lift and he watches.” 

Lockdown staples
Top 3 shows/movies
1. Outer Banks. “It’s about these teenagers looking for treasure on the coast of North Carolina, on this island. They rely with each other and live together. It only has one season because it’s a new show.” 
2. Avatar: The Last Airbender. “I’ve been watching a lot of this, too. It gets pretty serious sometimes.” 
3. Friends. “I watched it a couple years ago, but I’ll go off and on. They took it off Netflix, so I was bummed about that. I was on season six.” 

Top 3 foods/drinks
1. Pizza. “Pepperoni from Boston (North End) Pizza. I get it once or twice a month.” 
2. Chic-Fil-A. “I don’t go much because they’re on the mainland. They’re coming down to Hawaii. I like the regular chicken sandwich they have and the fries. When we went up for our basketball trip (California), we went two or three times.” 
3. Chicken katsu. “My mom (Vicky) makes it two or three times a month. My grandma (Velma Gahan) taught me how to make chicken katsu when I was 7 or 8. I just watched. It’s the end product that I enjoy, the eating. I never had to make it on my own, but I could if I had to.” 
4. Protein shake (GNC), cookies and cream. “I drink it four or five times a way, usually after I lift. It has a lot of calories. My goal is probably 180, 185. The goal is to keep my speed, but get stronger and put on good weight, get faster.” 

HOBBY
Kamaka: “I’ve been going surfing a lot three or four times a week. We got to Green Walls. It’s a beach in Kailua close to my house. We go to Kaisers or Bowls.”

SHOUT OUTS
Kamaka: “My family and my dad (Casey). Happy Father’s Day.” 

Kamehameha senior-to-be Paliku Kamaka (top right) with dad (Casey), mom (Vicky) and older brother (Kama.)


Comments