Always working: Kamehameha's Carley Park signs with UH

Fannie and Gary Park won't have to travel far to see daughter Carley play college soccer.

Some time between her part-time job, school studies and soccer workouts, Carley Park made some time for a big decision.

The Kamehameha senior was awake early on national letter-of-intent signing day. Park is now a Hawaii Rainbow Wahine.

“I feel super great and thankful right now. I’m so thankful for the people that helped me to get to this moment in my life,” she said. “I’m also grateful that my hard work over the years has paid off and that the coaching staff at UH gave me the opportunity to play with a great group of women to represent my family, school, and state.”

Park has a 3.83 grade-point average and plans to major in Business. She works part-time at Bath & Body Works. At Manoa, she will play for head coach Michele "Bud" Nagamine. 

“I love the environment the UH coaching staff has created on the team. Growing up in Hawaii, we learn about the importance of 'ohana, so knowing that I will be a part of a team that believes in this is very comforting and assuring. In regards to the school, I know UH has a great business program that I will be able to take advantage of throughout my years there. I also love that I will be super close to home while attending school,” she said.

“Emotionally I feel so happy and grateful for this opportunity, but mentally I know it’s only the beginning. I’ve always known that I would have to keep putting in the work even after I was verbally committed because I still need to continue to prove myself. Signing the letter emphasized this. I will have to continue to work hard to be my best in college and earn playing time.”

One of Park's most influential coaches is Sara Hashimoto of Crew Soccer Club. 

"I like her competitive spirit and physicality balanced by her precision. When she was younger, I’d always kind of hold my breath when she was defending, especially when she was mad or the game was super intense. She absolutely hated losing, and during our most competitive and physical matches, she always elevated her game. I remember one game where she fell and she crawled and lunged to block a shot with her body to keep them from scoring. Crazy," Hashimoto said. 

"She was also super physically imposing, way bigger than the other girls. She’d get talked to by the referee a lot even when she did everything right. She was fearless and wanted to step up for her team. She is still that way, just more controlled now, lol. She balances this with being precise and thoughtful on the ball, whether it’s distributing or finishing. Really accurate with passing, strong shot. We’ve seen this with her clutch goals during her 2019 high school season for Kamehameha, but she’s also made a thousand finishes just like that or better in practices and games in the past, too."

Park's ferocity on the pitch is matched by her camaraderie off it. 

"Carley has an amazing sense of humor, can get along with everyone. She is loved and respected by her teammates. She’ll also stand up for her teammates on the field, kind of a 'regulator'," Hashimoto noted. "Not many people know that she is an elite singer. She has some pipes. She is loved and respected by her teammates. She’s just fun to be around." 

Education-1st hosted the signing event at 6:20 a.m. on Wednesday. Park isn’t a morning person, but was wide awake.

“I haven’t had to wake up that early since we were still actually going to school. The excitement in the morning gave me the energy to prepare myself for this huge moment in my soccer career. I was definitely nervous for how the signing would play out, but I loved it and am so thankful,” she said.

Lockdown staples

Top 3 movies/shows
1. The Vampire Diaries
2. Lucifer.
3. Parks and Recreation

Top 3 food/snack/drink
1. Instant miso ramen, Sun Noodle.
2. Vanilla bean frappuccino, Starbucks.
3. Apples and Skippy peanut butter.
4. Peanut butter banana sandwich.

Top 3 music artists
1. Ariana Grande, “POV.”
2. Russ, “Manifest.”
3. Billie Eilish, “My Future.”

New life skill
“I learned how to cook new meals on my own.”

Bucket list
“I want to visit New York. I want to ride the rollercoaster on top of the Stratosphere in Las Vegas.”

Who will be the first to cry when you leave?
“Luckily, I won’t be leaving the island, so my family and I won’t be as emotional. I still think my mom will be the first to cry moving me into my dorm.

Shout outs
“I want to thank my family, especially my parents (Gary and Frannie), for pushing me to be the best player I can be. I also want to thank Coach Sara Hashimoto for teaching me so much about soccer and life over the years. Lastly, I want to thank Coach Missy (Moore) and Coach Bud (Michele Nagamine) for allowing me to play in competitive settings and teaching me valuable leadership skills. Thank you!”

Comments