HBA golfer Hunter Kobayashi rooted with HPU

Hunter-Logan Kobayashi has the complete support of mom (Melanie) and dad (Gavin).

A decade ago, 7-year-old Hunter-Logan Kobayashi picked up a club at Olomana Golf Course.

Her father (Gavin) and grandparents (Jackie and Richard Kobayashi) signed her up for Casey Nakama’s Junior Golf program, and she hasn't stopped since. The Hawaii Baptist Academy senior signed a national letter of intent to golf for Hawaii Pacific.

“I feel so relieved and thankful for this amazing opportunity since it will allow me to continue my golf career in college,” Kobayashi said. “I am prepared to keep working hard both in the classroom and on the golf course but to also enjoy the rest of my senior year!”

HPU was especially appealing to Kobayashi.

“Because Hawaii Pacific University is well known for its nursing program, I am excited to get a great education here at home,” she said. “No one, in particular, has influenced my interest in nursing, but interacting and watching nurses at my doctors' offices have spiked my curiosity in this field. Seeing how they care for people and make their lives better is appealing to me. I feel that being able to help other people who cannot help themselves would be a fulfilling experience for me and I would love for that to be my job.

Her passion for golf is equally strong.

“I am also looking forward to playing for Coach Ed (Kageyama),” Kobayashi said. “And to being a part of a great team!”

Individually, Kobayashi placed 20th statewide as a sophomore and 31st as a junior. HBA placed fourth in the team standings of the state tournament in 2019. This past spring, all sports were halted because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Student-athletes aiming for college opportunities have been in scramble mode because of the dearth of competition, particularly summer tournaments across the country. Those challenges didn’t stop Kobayashi, who signed her letter during the Education-1st event held online via Zoom and Facebook Live.

“I am so grateful to have had a memorable signing experience on Zoom. The event was so well-organized and it exceeded all of my expectations,” Kobayashi said. “It was really nice to get recognized for this achievement alongside other student-athletes who also understand the amount of hard work and patience that it took to get where we are today. I enjoyed sharing this day with my parents in-person and with the rest of my family, coaches, and teachers who came to support me online!”

Her start in the sport was ideal. 

"My first coach, the late Lance Suzuki, impacted me the most because he was the first to teach me about the foundations of my swing and techniques to use around the course. Every lesson, I would keep learning more and more, which kept me inspired to continue to play and practice. I feel so thankful to have had him as my coach," she said. 

Officially, national letters of intent were not valid until noon, Eastern Time on Wednesday. That means the signing event is always a pre-dawn happening for islands signees.

“Although waking up at 4:50 a.m. is way earlier than I am used to, I was so excited that I forgot about how tired I was,” Kobayashi said.

Lockdown staples

Top 3 movies/shows
1. It's Okay to Not Be Okay.
2. The Umbrella Academy.
3. Community.

Top 3 food/snack/drink
1. Acai bowl, Banzai Bowl (North Shore).
2. Natto curry, Curry House (Pearl Kai).
3. Korean pears.

Top 3 music artists and favorite songs
1. BTS, "Black Swan.”
2. TWICE, "Feel Special.”
3. Shawn Mendes, "Lost In Japan.”

New life skill: Gardening
“My family and I have planted a variety of vegetable plants like tomato and cucumber, and avocado and fig trees in our backyard garden.”

Shout outs
“To my parents (Melanie and Gavin), family, friends, and coaches: Thank you for all of the love, support, and everything you have done for me over the years. I appreciate the amount of time and money you have invested in me. You have taught me the importance of trying my best at everything that I do and that I should always try again in order to succeed. I am who I am today because of you guys and am so thankful to have you all in my life!”

Comments