HBA's Noah Koshi signs letter with Utah Valley

HBA golfer Noah Koshi signed with Utah Valley. 

The Beehive State is on the itinerary for Noah Koshi.


The Hawaii Baptist Academy golfer signed a letter of intent to play for Utah Valley. The finality of signing the letter on Wednesday at 7 a.m., like much of 2020, is a bit of a blur. 

“I honestly don’t know how to feel. It hasn’t really hit me yet that I’m officially signed to play Division I men’s golf for Utah Valley. I knew for about a month since I’ve given them my verbal commitment, but it still hasn’t sunk in yet. This has always been my goal, and to be accomplishing a big milestone in my career still doesn’t feel real,” Koshi said. 


In the spring of 2018, Koshi was a freshman when he finished second at states, one shot behind champion AJ Teraoka of Moanalua. 


Koshi placed ninth in the 2019 state tournament as a junior to help HBA win the championship. The ’20 season was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, creating a wall for college prospects suddenly without summer tournaments to play at nationally. The high school calendar still has golf in the spring of 2021. Fingers are crossed in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. Having a college destination locked in helps Koshi. 


“I think what’s different mentally and emotionally is how practice sessions go nowadays. These last few days I’ve been practicing and it’s been the most stress-free practice sessions I’ve ever had. Before my verbal and the signing day, I would always be worrying about where I would be attending college and if I would be good enough to play at a Division I collegiate level along with the expectation of getting better,” he said. “Now that I’m signed, I’m not worrying about that, but rather how can I get better as an individual. I don’t think I’ve ever had a stress-free practice session ever in my entire career.”


UVU is located in Orem. The men’s golf team is coached by Chris Curran.  


“I personally like the place that it’s in, the people that are going to be on my team, and their platform that this opportunity is providing for me. Utah Valley is 10 minutes away from BYU in Provo. There’s a lot of different food places in the area, so I will have many different things to try,” Koshi said. “The people that are currently on the team are very nice, welcoming, and have a great relationship with the coaches and staff. They always have competitions between one another, but most of all they make sure that they maintain a great environment that represents UVU well. 


“My coach is the most welcoming person and he makes sure that everyone is taken care of and is comfortable while staying competitive and their games staying sharp. This whole experience will provide me with the best opportunity to take my game to the next level in competing professionally.”


Shiral and Phil Koshi will be one lesser in the next when 
son Noah departs for Utah Valley. 


Koshi has a 3.2 grade-point average and is leaning toward a Business major in college. On signing day, he was wide awake in the morning darkness. The Education-1st event was streamed on Facebook Live and Zoom beginning at 6:20 a.m.


“It wasn’t too hard. I woke up about an hour before my alarm was even set. My emotions and excitement just woke me up,” he said. 


Coach Casey Nakama had the biggest influence on Koshi’s game. 


“He impacted me a lot as a player and as an individual because he taught me the basics of golf when I was a little kid growing up through his Junior Golf program. He kept things in perspective and allowed me to have fun with golf instead of making it feel like I had to play this sport,” Koshi said. “I was never forced into it. Coach Casey really kept it enjoyable.


Coach Kyle Kunioka is another key contributor. 


“Coach Kyle Kunioka really taught me how to be driven and keep working hard no matter what you may accomplish. I accomplished a lot in the 2019 season, but he kept me back in reality, telling me that there’s a lot more to accomplish in the years to come, especially since I have a goal of turning professional and playing on the PGA Tour,” Koshi said. “He made sure that I was never satisfied and kept working hard at y goals and dreams that I’ve had since I was a little kid.” 


Lockdown staples


Top 3 movies/shows

1. S.W.A.T.

2. Grease.

3. Bumblebee.


Top 3 food

1. Garlic cream fettuccine, California Pizza Kitchen.

2. Roasted Garlic Chicken, CPK.

3. Teriyaki beef bowl, Teppanyaki (Ala Moana). 


Top 3 snacks

1. Sakura Kaki Mochi.

2. Hurricane Popcorn.

3. Tostitos Scoops. “I learned how to make my own from my dad (Phil) during quarantine as well.”


Top 3 drinks

1. Boba.

2. Fruit Punch.

3. Raspberry Iced Tea.


Top 3 music artists

1. Panic! At the Disco.

2. Maroon 5.

3. John Legend.


New life skill

“I learned how to skateboard during quarantine.”


Who will be the first to cry at the airport when you leave?

“I think my mom (Shiral) will be the first to cry at the airport, followed by my dad and I.


Shoutouts (parents, family, school/club coaches, etc.)

“I would like to give a special shoutout to my parents. My mom has been my rock, touring everything. She has kept me sane when times got tough, and she kept me driven and focused on my goals when I would get sidetracked. My dad has been my eyes and ears since day one. He’s been making sure that I am at practice on time, working on the right things, and that my priorities are in check and taken care of in the right order.


“I would also like to give a shout out to my friends that have been supporting every step of my journey these past 13 years. I couldn’t have done it without you guys!


“To my coaches, thank you for everything that you’ve done for me over the years. My game has grown significantly since I’ve started golf, and that’s because of what you’ve taught me. I wouldn’t have been able to get to where I am today without your help.

“To my trainers Dana (Fong-Reyes) and Jimmy (Thibodeau), thank you for all your time and effort that you’ve put in over these last five years. It’s been a long journey to get where I am today. Along with my physical growth, you’ve helped me grow individually and learn what it takes to achieve what my mind wants.” 


Comments