‘Iolani pitcher Aisea Ahokovi makes it official with LMU


Aisea Ahokovi made it official, signing a letter of intent to Loyola Marymount.

The ‘Iolani pitcher had committed to LMU in September. The 6-foot-2, 200-pound senior followed through by signing last week.

“I feel like all of my hard work has paid off. I am ready to continue the grind at LMU,” Ahokovi said.

The 2020 high school season was cut short by the COVID-19 pandemic, but Ahokovi kept training through the lockdowns and restrictions. Hope remains that there will be a season in the spring of 2021. His mentality has been consistent.

“I don’t think there is anything different, but I do think I can focus more on my senior season and I won’t have to worry about finding a school to play at,” he said.

Ahokovi has a 3.2 grade-point average and plans to major in Business.

“I love the winning culture they have created at LMU. The coaches are amazing. They work hard for you and expect nothing but your best. The coaches were the main reason I chose LMU. They have your back,” he said.

There was a lighter turnout of baseball signees than usual at the Education-1st signing event, which was streamed on Zoom and Facebook Live. 

“It didn’t feel real. Although we were at home, the feeling of signing day can compare to no other. There is no better feeling than celebrating a special day with family and friends,” Ahokovi said.

Lockdown staples

Top 3 movies/shows
1. The Mandalorian.
2. That ‘70s Show.
3. The Office.

Top 3 food/snack/drink
1. Meat jun, Yakiniku Seoul.
2. Cow tongue, Yakiniku Seoul. “I don’t know why people are afraid of it, maybe because they think it’s weird. They should overcome (their fear) because it is tasty.”
3. Tomato bisque, ‘Iolani cafeteria.

Top 3 music artists
1. Post Malone.
2. Colbie Fallait.
3. Polo G.

New life skill
“Working on cars.”

Bucket list
“I want to go to Italy.”

Time Machine
“I want to meet Barry Zito and watch him pitch.”

Shout outs
“Shout out to my parents (Chanda and Hessy) for giving me the resources to succeed. Thank you to Coach Kurt (Miyahira), Coach Ash (Kuhaulua), Coach Bu (Brandon Toro), Coach Billy (Piper), Coach J (Jason Arakaki).”

Comments