Kaiser's Brock Perreira signs with Cal State Bakersfield

It's a done deal: Brock Perreira signs with Cal State Bakersfield. 

The future means everything to Kaiser catcher Brock Perreira. 


When a global pandemic came along in early 2020, it threatened to ruin his plans. In the end, Perreira was resilient and signed a letter of intent on Wednesday to play baseball for Cal State Bakersfield.


I am excited because I am finally getting to do what I have been working so hard for since I was a little kid. My goal was to play Division I baseball so I am super grateful for this opportunity and I am looking forward to what the future holds,” he said. 


Kaiser Coach Kila Kaaihue credited Perreira for his dedication.


"Brock has tremendous work ethic and the desire to get better. He's willing to try new things and evolve both on and off the field," Kaaihue said.


Like many island student-athletes, the opportunity to travel in the offseason and play top competition on the mainland was scratched due to COVID-19. That came after the high school baseball season was cut short early. 


COVID really threw a wrench in my recruiting process and made things difficult.  My junior season was canceled and then all of my summer travel showcases and tournaments also ended up being canceled. NCAA baseball recruiting has basically been deemed a ‘dead period’ since March, so recruiting was really limited and ended up relying a lot on videos and phone calls and Zoom meetings with coaches,” Perreira said. 


Much of the success within the recruiting process in the islands has boiled down to each student-athlete’s willingness to learn and be assertive. 


“Getting this offer and then actually signing the national letter of intent makes it feel official.  Knowing I have earned this opportunity is awesome, but I also know that I need to work harder than ever so I can contribute to my college team right away,” he said. 


Cal State Bakersfield joined the Big West Conference in June, which means Perreira will have at least a couple of trips home during the league schedule. 


I really like the coaches at Bakersfield. I immediately had a connection with Coach (Jeremy) Beard and believe in the values and philosophies he shares with the baseball program. I also know that the coaches will be able to help me develop as a player and a person. I just had a good feeling about the coaches and the baseball program and knew immediately that this was the right place for me,” he said. 


Perreira has a 3.3 grade-point average and plans to major in Kinesiology. 


The signing event was hosted by Education-1st, and streamed on Zoom and Facebook Live.


At first I was tired because we had to wake up so early and be online by 5:45 am.  But once I saw everyone all dressed up and repping their school swag I got fired up and was really excited to be part of the event,” he said. 

Nicole and Brandon Perreira were up early in the morning for son Brock on national 
letter of intent signing day. 

There is still a baseball season to be played at Kaiser, hopefully. Then, departure to Bakersfield in the summer, hopefully. Perreira thinks there will be tears at the airport. 


My mom (Nicole) and my sister (Brooke) will definitely be the first to cry, but my dad won't be too far behind them,” he said. 


Lockdown staples

Top 3 movies/shows

1. The Longest Yard.

2. Real Steel.

3. Benchwarmers.


Top 3 food/snack/drink

1. Mom's fried rice.

2. Chicken katsu curry, Ramen-ya.

3. Mom’s Hawaiian food.


Top 3 music artists and favorite songs

1. Lil Baby, “The Bigger Picture.”

2. J Boog.


New life skill

“I’m learning how to play the ukulele.”


College major: Kinesiology 


Bucket list

“Play baseball at Dodger Stadium.”


Time machine

“I would go back in time to my (Hawaii Kai) Little League park days when I played baseball and played at the park with friends all day until the night. Those were such good times!”


Shout outs (parents, family, school/club coaches, etc.)

“First I would like to thank my parents because my dad (Brandon) coached me since I was 4 until I started high school, and has always put in so much time to push me and make me better. My mom basically does everything for me so I don't know what I would do without her. I also want thank my sister Brooke because she has sacrificed a lot to come to all of my games and always supports me.  


“I am thankful to my grandparents (Michael and Evelyn Chun, Jerry and Pearl Perreira) for all their love and support. A big mahalo to Doug Sattler for always supporting me, and all the video footage. Thanks to all of my friends and family who constantly support me and are my biggest fans.  


“Thank you to Coach Kila Kaaihue who has been a big influence and mentor to me. He has spent hours with me to help me develop into the player I am. Thank you to the entire Kaiser High School coaching staff.  


“To all of my past coaches — Coach Chad Takanishi, Coach Kaulana Gibo, Coach Terry Stroede, and all my Dodger/HK Nation coaches — you guys have all made a huge impact on my life. Coach Kurt Miyahira you are awesome for Hawaii baseball and I am so thankful for all you have done for me. Coach Brandon Toro, Coach Ashkhon Kuhaulua, and the entire Hawaii Elite coaching staff. You guys are the best!  


“To my Hawaii Elite and Kaiser teammates, I love you guys and couldn't have asked for better friends and teammates.” 






Comments