Kamehameha center back Precious Brown joins Waldorf

Precious Brown (lei) has enormous support from Prestige (sister), Justine (mom), 
Mua (brother), Prince (father) and Princess (sister).


The wrestling and football gear will collect dust now that Precious Brown is heading to Forest City, Iowa.


The Kamehameha senior signed a letter of intent on Wednesday to play soccer for Waldorf University. The Warriors — yes, the same nickname as Kamehameha — compete in the NAIA’s Midwest Collegiate Conference.


Words cannot describe how I feel right now, the amount of love and support my family, friends, coaches, and teammates have shown me is amazing, especially considering the roller coaster of a year we’ve all individually endured,” Brown said. “I’m so thankful that I was able to enjoy this moment with those who care about me the most!”


Hawaii Soccer Academy Coach Curtis Nishiyama leaned on the center back for leadership.


“Precious Brown is a tough, fierce competitor who plays with a huge heart. She is very strong, determined, hard-working and a vocal leader on the field,” Nishiyama said. “Off the field, she is friendly, well-liked and respected by her teammates. As her coach for many years, I believe she is always eager to learn and grow as an athlete and a person. She is a true reflection of her family and upbringing.” 


Student-athletes have not had official visits to campuses due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but Brown was able to connect with Waldorf’s staff. 


“From the online campus visit and the meetings with the college counselors, my major professor, along with Coach Lugo (Arenas) and Coach Melanie (Chandler), I love the community and the energy it radiates. The people are inviting and I’ve never been to Iowa so I’m even more so excited for the different experiences that the new environment will provide for me like ice hockey or playing soccer in the snow,” she said. 


The finality of the recruiting process materialized on Wednesday when she signed her letter during an online event hosted by Education-1st. It was streamed on Zoom and Facebook Live. 


“It was definitely worth it! At first I was like, ‘5:45 a.m.?’ But as soon as my alarm rang, my body and mind were ready to go! Personally I feel more solid and relieved. Things are starting to be set in stone and now it’s all about the count down and come up.”


Brown has a 3.35 grade-point average. 


“I’m hoping to major in Psychology and minor in Communications,” she said. 


Brown wrestled and was a placekicker on the football team at Kapalama Heights. Brown hasn’t quit football and wrestling yet. Senior year has yet to begin for student-athletes in Hawaii. At the next level, it will be soccer and studies. 


“I’ll definitely miss the chemistry I’ve built with my teammates. For wrestling, all the times I thought I was at my breaking point and everybody helped to push further. I’ll for sure miss playing under the stadium lights on a home field for football and hearing the crowd cheer myself and my teammates on,” she said. 


Bonus:

**Lockdown staples**

Top 3 movies/shows

1. S.H.I.E.L.D Agents of Marvel. 

2. Me Before You. 

3. Chicago P.D. 


Top 3 food/snack/drink

1. Milk tea boba with ice cream and Thai walls, Taste Tea, Ewa Beach.

2. My dad’s garlic salt and brown sugar steak.

3. Mango madness smoothie, Wailua Bakery.


Top 3 music artists and favorite songs

1. The Woo, “Pop Smoke.”

2. Do It Myself, “Russ.”

3. Drip, “Capolow.”


Bucket list

“If I could go anywhere in the world, I’d go to Greece! The culture is so rich and their land is so beautiful and well, I’d love to try their foods!”


Who will be the first to cry at the airport when you leave?

“I think it’ll be my sisters, Prestige and Princess, because they’ll no longer have their personal Uber or like someone to take them out all the time.”


Shout outs

“Huge shout out to my parents, Justine and Prince Brown, for their endless love and efforts to get me where I am today. To my grandparents, aunties and uncles for their endless support on and off the field and mats. 


“To my soccer club, Hawaii Soccer Academy. for providing an amazing environment for myself and my team to express our talents. To my soccer coaches, Coach Curtis, Coach Dennis (Yoshida) and Coach Stu (Okumura) for believing in me and pushing me to be the best version of myself. 


“Thank you to my football coaches, Coach Abu (Ma‘afala) and Coach Ed (Doo) for allowing me to showcase my talents and strengthen my abilities in a different field of play. I love you all and I hope to continuously make all of you proud!”

Comments