Kamehameha's Justice Taylor Colburn signs with Wisconsin-Green Bay

Justice Taylor Colburn is entering the next chapter of her life after signing a letter of intent
to play soccer at Wisconsin-Green Bay. 

Justice Taylor Colburn was a toddler when an uncle prophesied her destiny. 


Uncle Rob Joy, an ardent Green Bay Packers fan, put his team visor on Colburn’s head in a photo when she was 3 for a photo. Fast-forward 14 years, and the Kamehameha senior is heading to the Midwest after signing a national letter of intent to play soccer for Wisconsin-Green Bay.


“I’m definitely not a cheese head, but what’s funny enough is it might have been fate. My uncle, who is a diehard cheese head, dressed me up. He may have interfered with destiny,” she said. 


Colburn, a center back/center forward, plans to major in Criminal Justice/Democracy Studies, then become a forensic scientist. 


“The goal is to study at Quantico before pursuing the CIA,” she said. “Women in STEM and women in those work forces are paving the way for the little ones and I’m excited to be one of them.” 


The climb to a college soccer career doesn’t feel complete, but maybe that’s because there is still a senior season ahead, COVID-19 pandemic withstanding. 


“I’m so excited for the next chapter in my life. I don’t think it’s quite kicked in yet that I’m gonna be in Wisconsin for the next four years but I’m stoked for whatever this new chapter brings for me. It’s an extreme honor to be a first gen in my family and to be going to such a great school so far away only makes it that much more special to me,” Colburn said. 


Hawaii Surf Soccer Club Coach Shawn Kuroda raves about the senior. 


“Justice is a great kid to begin with.  Her mom, Kanani, being a former soccer player helped her grow up knowing the game. It was a pleasure coaching Justice. Great attitude. Super athletic. Plays physical and strong, and those qualities for a defender are important.”


Colburn’s versatility is added value. 


“She is so athletic, she can also play in the forward line because she has so much speed. I love Justice and her mom. They made made coaching enjoyable,” Kuroda said. 


Education-1st hosted the annual signing event online this year.


“It was extremely surreal. This was the day us athletes have been thinking about since as long as I can remember. It’s insane that I can now take the sport I’ve been playing for the past 14 years to the collegiate level and make my family proud. I was really nervous about signing my NLI over Zoom and weary of the outcome, but despite us not being in Waikiki this past morning it was amazing nonetheless,” she said. 


Uncle Rob Joy shared his love for Green Bay with 
Justice Taylor Colburn at a young age. 

Prior to the pandemic, Education-1st’s national letter-of-intent signing events — three per academic year — were held at the Honolulu Elks Lodge and Sheraton Waikiki. Student-athletes and their families have adapted to a new world. 


“It was a little more special to have all my family there supporting me and it really meant a lot to see all us Hawaii kids spreading out across different states to pursue our passions. I’m extremely proud of myself and the rest of the signees,” Colburn said. 


The process for most student-athletes was different because of restrictions on traveling all summer, when tournaments on the mainland often showcase island players. 

“It’s a huge weight off my shoulders, but it’s also just beginning. I’ve worked extremely hard to get here, but now i’ve got to hustle even more. This isn’t the time to ease up. I’m the underdog again, a freshman class newbie coming all the way from Hawaii. It’s time to work harder then ever and prove myself out in Wisconsin. I’m stoked for the opportunity to prove myself to my new coaches and find my path there,” she said. 


The Phoenix have the kind of spirit she likes. 


“It was really important to me to go to a college with a close knit community. Green Bay had welcoming arms the moment I came onto campus and the atmosphere was one that I could just picture me thriving in these next four years. I think a huge part of it was getting out of Hawaii,” Colburn said. “I’ve known since I was little I wanted to attend college out of state so I could represent my family and myself out in the world. It made it that much easier that Coach (Jason) Spain and the soccer program are exactly what I was looking for from the style of play to the dynamics of the players and team. I’m stoked to be a Phoenix!”


Lockdown staples

Top 3 movies/shows

1. Quantico.

2. Criminal Minds. 

3. Bones.


Bucket list

“I want to visit New Zealand and Italy! New Zealand has amazing historical parks and beautiful sights such as Tongariro National Park and Lake Tekapo. But the architecture in Italy is captivating! The list goes on and on, because I’ve always wanted to travel all over and explore different countries to learn about different practices and cultures.”


Top 3 music artists

“Any and all country music!”


Shout outs 

“Huge shoutout to my family! My tutu and papa (Dennis Moniz), grandma (Jana Moniz)and papa Ken (and Joanna Moniz). To all my aunties and uncles who have supported me along this journey. Especially my mom (Kanani)! They are my pillars in which my foundation as a person and athlete were built, I wouldn’t be who I am without them. 


“And to all the coaches and mentors I’ve had over the years, Coach Shawn (Kuroda), Coach Jose (Dydasco), Coach Pops (Bob Dela Cuesta), Coach Vinny (La Porta), Coach Brent (Graham), Coach Rob (Alamilo) and Brendyn (Agbayani), Coach James (Slayder), Coach Kerri (Miike), Coach Billie (Bartenstein) and so many more. I’ve been extremely blessed to be coached by such amazing coaches who not only focused on our athletic development but our personal development as individuals as well. Thank you for pushing me and continuing to believe in me. I love you all like family!”


Dennis Moniz (grandfather), Blessing Kiara (sister), Justice Taylor, Jana Moniz (grandmother), Kanani (mother) and Uncle John (Limahai) celebrated Justice Taylor Colburn's national letter of intent signing on Wednesday.


Comments