Kamehameha’s Shaye Story pens LOI for Stanford

Shaye Story is feeling the red of Stanford University. So are her parents, Michael and Joana. 

A force of nature she is. 


Shaye Story was been a force for Kamehameha’s water polo long before senior year. Before water polo season begins, coronavirus pandemic withstanding, the 5-foot-11 standout signed her letter of intent to play for Stanford next year. 


Right now, I am getting increasingly excited about my upcoming freshman year of college. I feel like mentally and emotionally I have passed a huge milestone in my life. There has been an immense weight lifted off of my shoulders and I feel like now I just need to focus on getting through my final year of high school before I can start on a new adventure,” Story said. 


There are no second thoughts about joining the Cardinal. 


“The aspect of Stanford and its program that I am looking forward to the most is the limitless amount of opportunities I will have with the team. I canʻt wait to grow in a nurturing environment that breeds development,” said Story, who has a 4.1 grade-point average. 


Five years in a row, Punahou has edged Kamehameha in the state tournament finals. Story’s size and talent could alter that pattern in the spring of 2021. 


“I think that’s our goal every year regardless of the circumstances, but I’m confident in my team and our abilities. I know we’re all working hard to play our best in the spring. We’ll just have to see how it plays out,” she said. 


Story’s prowess in swimming includes seven gold medals. Last season, she won the 500-meter freestyle for a third year in a row and repeated at champion in the 200 freestyle. Story has also collected two golds in the 200 medley relay. 


“Shaye has a way of smiling through the highs and lows of the sport. She always looks like she’s having fun out there,” said Kamehameha Water Polo Club Coach Eko Lapp, who played both sports at Hawaii. “What I respect most about Shaye is that she doesn’t back away from her commitment to both swimming and water polo. In the world of today’s athletics where you’re expected to specialize and commit to one sport by the time you’re 14, Shaye was able to not only be good at both, but exceptional at both.” 


The plan in college is to get narrow life down to one sport.


“I’m just focusing on water polo,” Story said. "It was definitely a hard decision to stop swimming. I've been swimming for 13 years and, for the most part, I loved everything about it. I always credit my success in water polo to my swimming background and ability. I will be swimming my last season with Kamehameha. Hopefully, there will be many opportunities to swim fast before the year is up." 


Departure to Palo Alto, Calif., is months away. It will arrive soon enough. 


“My mom (Joana) will definitely be the first one to cry because she always cries during big events, when I go on trips. In fact, she even cried during the (letter-of-intent) ceremony because of one of the speeches,” Story said. 


Lockdown staples

Top 3 movies/shows

1. The Office.

2. Drake and Josh. 

3. Worth It (Buzzfeed). 


Top 3 food/snack/drink

1. Iced Coffee. “My favorite iced coffee right now is the pumpkin cream cold brew from Starbucks.” 

2. Waialua Chocolate. 

3. Kettle Corn. 


Top 3 music artists and favorite songs

1. Sam Cooke, “You Send Me.” 

2. Harry Styles, “Canyon Moon.”

3. Leon Bridges, “River.”


New life skill

“I know how to make cute and decorative pillows out of dish towels.”


College major: Undecided. 


Bucket list

“I would love to go to Japan on vacation. I am a fan of both Japanese food and culture. I would also love to go around the world and visit every Disney park.”


Time machine 

“If I could use a time machine, I would go back to 1976 and invest in Apple stock. While I was there I would meet Billie Jean King and talk to her about how she handles sexism in sports.”


Shout outs

“I would like to give a shout out to my two biggest fans, my Nana and Papa (Adrienne and Henry Lau) for always supporting me.”

Comments