Maryknoll's Logan-Ray Gaspar en route to Abilene Christian

Logan-Ray Gaspar has the full support of Darlani, Hoko and Lance.
Photo courtesy of Logan-Ray Gaspar.

Logan-Ray Gaspar will be on her way to Abilene Christian University in 2021. 


The Maryknoll softball standout made that commitment official on Wednesday morning by signing a letter of intent during the Education-1st event on Zoom and Facebook Live. 


“I feel excited and ready to start this new chapter of my life. It was always my dream to play softball at the collegiate level, and I am happy that I got an opportunity to fulfill my dream,” Gaspar said.


Maryknoll coach John Uekawa will have one more season — COVID-19 pandemic withstanding — to rely on Gaspar.


“She is an intelligent player, a leader by example at shortstop and third base. She would have been a four-year starter. She is very disciplined in her mannerism and approach to the game, an extremely hard worker,” Uekawa said. “She sets high goals which she uses to stay focused to better her game.” 


LOI signing day is always refreshing for early birds and night owls alike. The signees were online by 5:45 a.m. and the event opened by 6:20. Letters become signed and official at 7 a.m., Hawaii time. 


“My brother, myself and my parents are usually early risers because we live so far from our jobs and school, so waking up was not a challenge. I think the real challenge was trying to make my backdrop fit into the Zoom screen,” she said. 


A signature means everything sometimes. Pen to paper, and an entire future takes a new direction. 


“Mentally, my parents and I are happy that we do not have to stress and worry about the recruiting process anymore, but I keep in mind that now I have to work even harder in both school and softball,” Gaspar said. 


Abilene Christian may be familiar to Hawaii football fans. The Wildcats played at old Honolulu Stadium in the 1970s. The university has an enrollment of 5,293 for the fall semester, a record high. 


“What I love most about ACU’s softball program is how great the coaches and players are. All the coaches and players have great attitudes and such high energy on and off the field,” said Gaspar, who has a 3.92 grade-point average. “What I love most about the university itself is the Pre-Med program. They have great opportunities for students like myself who want to become doctors and go to medical school.” 


Lockdown staples

Top 3 movies/shows

1. League of Their Own.

2. Incredibles 1.

3. Incredibles 2. 


Top 3 food/snack/drink

1. Kalua pig and rice, Highway Inn (Waipahu). 

2. Shoyu ramen, Sanoya Ramen (McCully). 

3. Sushi, Genki Sushi (Waikele). 


Top 3 music artists

1. Giveon, “Favorite Mistake.” 

2. Summer Walker feat. Partynextdoor, “Just Might.”


New life skill

“Baking. I am still learning, but I hope I get good at baking so I can cook dessert in college.”


College major: Pre-Med/Biology.


Who will cry first at the airport?

"I think the first to cry would be my mom and dad. My dad has coached me since I was 4 years old and still coaches me today. My mom has always been there for me throughout the whole process of applying for scholarships and applying for schools. I will probably start crying with them."


Bucket list

“I really want to go to Japan. I want to eat sushi and ramen when I am in Japan.” 


Time machine

“If I could go back in time, I would like to meet my parents (Darlene and Lance). I think I would like to meet them in their senior year and see how they were compared to myself. I think we all would become good friends.” 


Shout outs

First, I would like to thank God for everything he has given me. I would also like to shoutout my parents. Dad whether it be lifting at 5 a.m. or hitting at the cage at 7:30 p.m., thank you for putting in countless hours and effort with me to help me work on my game. 


“Mom thank you for always being there for me, you are always ‘one step ahead of me’ and know me better than I know myself. 


“Hoko, thank you for being my ‘big little brother’ by always trying to protect me and defend me. You always are there for me when I need it and push me to be my best. 


“Thank you to all my grandparents (Winnie Javier, Peter Nazarino, Darlene Nazarino, Raymond Gaspar) who take care of me and my brother when my parents are at work. I am grateful that I can spend time with you guys and will never take that for granted. 


“Lastly, I would like to thank all my family and friends who have helped me get where I am at today. Without the support from all of you, I probably wouldn’t be in this position right now.” 



Comments