Mililani's Nicole Ando revved up to play for Hawaii

Ryan and Lori Ando give daughter Nicole major support.
She thrives with a 4.143 grade-point average. 

Nicole Ando has one more season left as a Mililani Trojan. 

That is the hope. She also has many more ahead as a Rainbow Wahine. The hustling soccer standout signed with Hawaii on national letter-of-intent signing day as part of a talented incoming class of local prospects for Coach Michele “Bud” Nagamine. 


I am excited to continue playing soccer at a higher level! I am grateful for all my friends, family, coaches and teachers that got me to where I am today. They helped me grow and persevere to reach my goals,” Ando said.


Hawaii Rush Soccer Club Coach Brent Murakami enjoys coaching Ando. 


Athletically, Nicole makes up for her size with tenacious work ethic. She will work hard the entire game. For some players, they think they are working, but Nicole works. She covers lots of ground in the midfield. She is always wanting to learn more and ask questions,” he said. “As a teammate, she is always positive. She likes to look at everything from a half-full glass perspective. Other players can feel down, but Nicole will be there to cheer them on.” 


Ando approached signing day differently at first since the event, hosted three times per year by Education-1st, was streamed online. It turned out to be much the same as signing events of previous years. 


“It felt like I was actually going to the signing in person, having to get ready at 5 o’clock in the morning with butterflies in my stomach. I was excited and nervous because it was a big step to take,” she said. “Mentally I have to continue to keep working hard to prepare myself for the higher level of competition. Emotionally I am very thrilled that I get to stay home and play with a great team!”


The COVID-19 pandemic may have played more of a role in recruiting locally. Then again, Nagamine’s program has fueled excitement among local soccer stars. 


“What I  love most about the university is that the campus is close to home and the engineering program is excellent. What I love most about the coaches is that they create a positive atmosphere that makes playing soccer fun, but also pushes me to become a better player. They are also big on teamwork and being connected which I thing is very important in soccer,” said Ando, who has a 4.143 grade-point average. 


Lockdown staples

Top 3 movies/shows

1. The Office.

2. Parks and Recreation.

3. Inside Out.


Top 3 food/snack/drink

1. King crab legs, Don Quijote.

2. Sushi, Ninja Sushi (Mililani).

3. Cotton candy grapes.


Top 3 artists and songs

1. Trey Smoov, “You” featuring Sammy J.

2. Far East Movement & Ryan Tedder, “Rocketeer.”

3. Giveon, “Like I Want You.”


New life skill

“I can drive. I got my license during the summer.”


Bucket list

“Learn how to surf and travel to Greece.”


Time machine: 1990, meet my grandpa (Reggie Okamura) and spend time with him.” 


Shout outs

“Shout out to my parents (Ryan and Lori), family, all the coaches who trained me, friends, and Hawai’i Rush Soccer Club.”

Comments