MPI's Alyssa Nakagawa signs with Hawaii

Mark Nakagawa was up early with daughter Alyssa as she signed her letter of intent to Hawaii.


The path to the future turned out to be a short walk down University Ave.
 

Alyssa Nakagawa made it official on Wednesday, signing a letter of intent to play softball for Hawaii. 


“It is so surreal that I had the opportunity to sign to my dream school. Growing up I have continuously attended and supported the Rainbow Warriors’ athletic programs, from softball to baseball to volleyball and football. I grew up watching and admiring those athletes, aspiring to reach the goal of playing for the university,” Nakagawa said. 


“Since the age of 6, I knew my goal was to one day be able to put on the uniform for the Rainbow Wahine.” 


Nakagawa is a versatile utility player, able to play third base, first base and left field. She also has a 3.1 grade-point average. 


The wake-up call was a bit early for all signees who were online by 6:20 a.m. for the Education-1st stream via Facebook Live and Zoom.


“Definitely, it feels like a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. It feels like I can relax a little more knowing it’s official, and I can definitely focus in the classroom and on the field more without the added distraction of the recruiting process,” Nakagawa said. 


Wednesday was also a holiday, Veterans’ Day, and gave signees more time to contemplate the long voyage that leads to a new chapter. 


“I am so excited to be able to attend and play for Hawaii. My whole family are graduates of the university. Being able to be part of that legacy and playing in front of my family and friends is everything to me. My grandpa makes it a point to attend and support me in every game that he can,” she said. “My dad (Mark) helped out and coached my teams since I was little. Coach (Bob) Coolen has been a legacy for the UH softball program. I am looking forward to being part of the very successful program, and I’m ready to work hard and get coached up by such a legendary coach.” 


Lockdown staples

Top 3 movies/shows

1. Grey's Anatomy.

2. Criminal Minds.

3. Crazy Rich Asians.


Top 3 food/snack/drink

1. Chicken piccata, KFC. 

2. Gyoza, Sanoya Ramen.

3. Dryers double fudge brownie ice cream.


Top 3 music artists

1. Ed Sheeran, "Happier." 

2. Sam Smith, "Too Good at Goodbyes." 

3. Bruno Mars, "Finesse." 


New life skill: Baking


College major: Biology 


Bucket list

”(Travel to) Italy to eat some authentic chicken piccata and freshly made bread.”


Time machine

I would like to go to the future and see what my life looks like in 10 years. I would especially like to see what career path I've chosen because I'm in between pursuing nursing or pharmacy after my undergraduate degree.”


Shout outs 

“First and foremost, I would like to thank all of my family, friends, coaches, and teammates. Without each and every one of you I would not be the player I am today. 


Thank you to my family for being my support system and always being my biggest fans. Thank you Mom (Lisa) for being the one who does everything behind the scenes and never expects anything in return. Thank you Dad for being my toughest coach, mentor, and friend. Grandpa (George), you have always been my biggest support system. Thank you for coming to my every game regardless if it was basketball and softball and always making time for me. You all mean the world to me and my greatest goal would not have been achievable without you.


To my coaches, past and present, thank you for everything you have done for me throughout the years. Thank you to my Easton Preps ohana and coaches Ray Motta and Wendell Carlos for pushing me everyday on the field and giving me the opportunity to make my dream happen. Also, a special thank you to my high school coach, Aiko Gojo, for playing a huge part in my softball career. 


I really want to thank all of my teammates. You guys are my family and sisters. I am so lucky to have you all in my life. Through all of our ups and downs, you will always be my sisters. Thank you for all of the memories and experiences I will cherish forever. I am so thankful to have been able to share the field with you guys.”

Comments