Pearl City's Ysabel Natalia Aburto lands with HPU

Pearl City soccer player Ysabel Natalia Aburto signed with Hawaii Pacific on Wednesday. 


Ysabel Natalia Aburto cracked the books open and studied her brain out. 


She hit the pitch and became an elite player in soccer. Then, the battle to overcome an injury could have stopped her. Aburto prevailed with resilience. The reward materialized on Wednesday when the Pearl City senior signed a letter of intent with Hawaii Pacific. 


“I feel a sense of accomplishment, but I know I still have a long road ahead of me! It’s so crazy to see all the girls I grew up playing soccer with committing, as well. We’re just all grown up and opening new chapters in our lives,” Aburto said. 


Longtime Pearl City Coach Frank Baumholtz holds Aburto in high regard. 


“As a freshman, she was open-minded to our system. She fit right into our defense. She is strong. She hurt her knee her sophomore year and the mental challenge to recover was as tough as the injury recovery,” he said. “Junior year was an uphill battle mentally to regain a playing spot on the field.


“She overcame the worry of reinjuring her knee and just went out and played hard. Ysabel was an asset in the playoffs and I hope she has another season in January of 2021,” Baumholtz said. “She is a great person. She doesn’t quit. I hope she has a great future at HPU.” 


Aburto has a 3.5 grade-point average and plans to major in Psychology. 


Jesus and Brenda Aburto watched daughter Ysabel Natalia sign her letter of intent. 


She was part of a massive Zoom conference that was streamed on Facebook Live by host Education-1st. The event began at 6:20 a.m. and signing of letters commenced at 7 a.m.


“I usually don’t like waking up early, but I was wide awake and so excited! Before I signed, it was nerve-wracking and I just wanted to get it done,” Aburto said. “Now, I feel a sense of relief, excitement and so ready to be in college already.” 


Aburto is familiar with HPU’s coaches and players. 


“I like how cool my coaches are, and I’ve played with a lot of the girls on the team already at different times in my life. I’m really looking forward to playing with them again,” she said. 


Leahi Soccer Club Coach Michele "Bud" Nagamine praised the senior. 


"My favorite thing about Ysa is her passion for the game. She is an extremely hard worker and loves to challenge herself. She is willing to do all the little extra things that require dedication and internal motivation," Nagamine said. "She is a leader on the field and HPU is getting an outstanding player of high character." 


Lockdown staples

Top 3 movies/shows

1. The Office.

2. Friends.

3. Dance Moms.


Top 3 food/snack/drink

1. Dynamite maki, Kozo Sushi (Pearl City). 

2. Ube ice cream.

3. French fries. “I love all French fries, but Palisades Drive Inn has the best crinkle fries.” 


Top 3 music artists

1. YG, “Why You Always Hatin’ “

2. Doja Cat, “Rules.” 

3. Nicki Minaj, “Barbie Dreams.” 


New life skill: Adulting. 


Bucket list

“I don’t really have a set bucket list. I’m an indecisive person.” 


Time machine

“I’d like to go back and see my Uncle Allen (Padilla) again. One of my biggest supporters and I miss him so much!”


Shoutouts 

“To my mom (Brenda), dad (Jesus), brother (Juan), sister (Ciana Alina) for always supporting me in everything I do.” 

Comments