Punahou LB Kahanu Kia commits to Notre Dame

Kahanu Kia is enjoying some peace and quiet after committing to Notre Dame on Wednesday. 

The pipeline from Hawaii to South Bend, Ind., is flush.

The latest recruit to Notre Dame: Punahou linebacker Kahanu Kia. The senior turned down 14 other offers and committed to the Fighting Irish on Thursday.

"I am so humbled and grateful to be in the position I am in," Kia wrote on social media.

Kia will join former Saint Louis linebacker Jordan Botelho and former Kapolei lineman Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa at Notre Dame. 

"My phone's been blowing up, but other than that, it's a normal day," Kia said by phone Wednesday afternoon. 

"I feel relieved just having the process over with. I called all the coaches. It was rough. You build a relationship with these guys, but ultimately, you only choose one school and that makes it hard," he added. 

Notre Dame, for many student-athletes like Kia, is exceptional. 

"All the schools I was considering have good people, but Notre Dame has great football, I love the people there. The main deciding thing is the education and the opportunity to graduate from there. They say four for 40 (years), building relationships and connections," he said.  

Kia is leaning toward a business major. 

"Business is one of the most popular choices for football players at Notre Dame. They realize the opportunity and value of their business school," he said. 

Kia and his father, Punahou assistant coach Nate Kia, hit the road for a buddy trip after the PTP National Football College Showcase. 

"We drove back to Las Vegas, flew to Salt Lake City (University of Utah). Then we flew to Notre Dame. We were there for two full days," he said of the dead-period visit. 

That means no contact with college coaches. 

"We just walked around the campus. We were there for the game," Kia said of the Irish's double overtime thriller over Clemson. 

Having his feet on the ground made a significant impact. 

"To see the football culture, to see what they have on the field was cool. The thing that did it for me is the school itself and the tightness of the community. It felt like Hawaii," Kia said. "It was sunny that weekend." 

From there, they flew to Stanford and spent two days there. 

"That was awesome, too. They have a beautiful campus," said Kia, who said his mind was still not made up at that point. 

A flight from the Bay Area to UCLA followed. Father and son returned to Honolulu last Friday. 

"I decided on Monday night. That's when I realized it. Me and and my parents decided that's when I would start calling (other) coaches," he said. 

Notre Dame Head Coach Brian Polian, and assistant coaches Clark Lea and Coach Nick Lezynski were all on the call. 

"They were super excited. It was a super cool conversation, talking to all those guys. It was definitely a happy experience," Kia said. 

With the state of Hawaii playing high school football, ideally perhaps, from February to April, Kia isn't 100-percent certain about playing his senior year as a Buffanblu. There just isn't much rest time between April — or May — and the start of college season in July. 

"I'm not sure yet. It depends, so much things to figure out. Right now, I couldn't say. I definitely want to, but I'm not sure I am (playing), if we have a season. I guess it depends on when it is," he said. 

Kia has a 3.5 grade-point average and already had 13 offers when Notre Dame swooped in with one on Sept. 1. A day later, Stanford made an offer, too. 

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound was among dozens from the islands who flew to the continent in late October to play in the PTP National College Football Showcase. Kia showed ample gratitude in his social-media post. 

"I am so grateful for the constant support I have been given by friends, teammates, coaches, teachers and all those who have taken the time to help me. I want to express gratitude to all the coaches I have met during this recruiting process and the relationships we have built," Kia wrote. "I would like to thank my wonderful parents and ALL the constant sacrifices, lessons and love they have showed me and my siblings. I am so grateful for them! Lastly, I would like to thank my Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ. Without them NONE of this would be possible!! I know that if I put God first, all things will work itself out. With that being said, I would like to announce my commitment to... The university of NOTRE DAME!!"

Kahanu Kia, Punahou, ILB
Offers: 15
Utah 9/14/19
Washington State 10/28/19, reoffer 1/27/20
Princeton 2/12/20
Dartmouth 2/19/20
Hawaii 2/20/20
Utah State 2/21/20
Penn 2/22/20
San Diego State 3/17/20
UNLV 3/25/20
Arizona 4/8/20
Fresno State 4/14/20
UCLA 6/16/20
Notre Dame 9/1/20
Stanford 9/2/20

Comments